How do christians explain bible saying earth is flat?

Issiah 40:22

" He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,

and its people are like grasshoppers.

He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,

and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

A circle by definition is a flat 2D object.

Update:

@iouaname673:

it is not metaphor.

you cannot say "earth is a circle"

in a metaphorical sense whereas you

can say "people jump like grasshoppers"

in a metaphorical sense

Update 2:

@† Yeshua Is the God of Israel †:

A ball is usually spherical and when

it's not is ovoid. a ball is NOT a circle.

Update 3:

A globe CANNOT be a circle.

A globe is spherical.

Circle=/= sphere

Update 4:

@krazyabouthim:

It doesn't say "it looks like a circle"

the bible says "it is a circle" we don't

say earth is a sphere because it looks like

one we do it because it's been proven

scientifically by a multitude of reasons.

Update 5:

@HTacianas_II:

It does say it's flat.

a circle is FLAT not

a sphere, it is flat

Update 6:

it is not a metaphor. for example.

I can say "They jump like grasshoppers"

meaning they jump high. it's an expression.

"they jump like grasshoppers" just means they

jump high. however "circle of the earth"

CANNOT be used in any metaphorical sense whatsoever. you cannot say something is a circle being figurative.

Update 7:

you can deny and dismiss it as a metaphor all you want but a circle is a circle which is a flat 2d object. If we dismiss this as a metaphor than we need to dismiss story of jesus etc. as a metaphor than too?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best answer

just look at why Giordano Bruno was killed, that should tell u something.

"The earth remained flat and unmoving for another century. Then a Dominican monk named Giordano Bruno, removed his priestly vestments and became a philosopher to share his knowledge with Europe."

• 10 years ago

There are other absurdities in the Bible that can't really be justified as metaphoric.

Here's a site showing other Biblical absurdities:

http://truth-saves.com/Nature_vs_Bible.php

Examples that you can easily find in any Bible at home

Genesis 1:6-10 - "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day. And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so. God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good."

^^^^Very out dated idea of how rain is formed.

Samuel 2:8 tells us that the world has been set up pillars, "For the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, And He has set the world upon them." This is where the phrase "pillars of the earth" comes from. Job 9:6 even mentions that these physical pillars tremble when the earth shakes. "Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble."

According to the Bible, the pattern on animals can be changed just by having them look at different patterns. Unlike chameleons this pattern change alters the animal's genetics and is passed down to its offspring. In Genesis 30:37-43 Jacob has his cattle view a striped rod, resulting in the cattle having a new striped pattern.

The rest you can look up on the link I just posted.

Source(s): Reading the Bible searching the Internet to actually read the sections those quotes are from.
  • 10 years ago

A two-dimensional perspective projection of a sphereA sphere (from Greek σφαῖρα—sphaira, "globe, ball") is a perfectly round geometrical object in three-dimensional space, such as the shape of a round ball. Like a circle in two dimensions, a perfect sphere is completely symmetrical around its center, with all points on the surface lying the same distance r from the center point. This distance r is known as the radius of the sphere. The maximum straight distance through the sphere is known as the diameter of the sphere. It passes through the center and is thus twice the radius.

In higher mathematics, a careful distinction is made between the sphere (a two-dimensional spherical surface embedded in three-dimensional Euclidean space) and the ball (the three-dimensional shape consisting of a sphere and its interior).

Look at a coin one way it is flat hold it another way it is round.

g04 6/22 p. 13 Measuring the Earth With a Stick

This book of the Bible was completed after 732 B.C.E.

Some might find it especially remarkable that Eratosthenes knew that the earth is round. After all, up until just a few hundred years ago, even some wise men involved in science believed that the earth was flat. The ancient Greeks had deduced the earth’s shape from their scientific observations. However, about 500 years before Eratosthenes, a Hebrew prophet was inspired to write: “There is One [God] who is dwelling above the circle of the earth.” (Isaiah 40:22) Isaiah was no scientist. How did he know that the earth was round? It was divine inspiration that revealed this truth.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It's a metaphor? LOL...

You're right, it's not a metaphor, it's a clear indication of primitive science.

It's funny how they think they can dismiss this as a metaphor, but things like Genesis 30:37-39 , where Jacob manipulates donkey genes by having the donkey look at sticks with painted stripes (that Jacob made) with mating will produce "striped donkey offspring"??

Is this a metaphor too? And if so, for what?"

Don't expect them to read your follow up..

Christian denial knows no bounds.

They will ignore, turn around..and pretend they never saw anything to continue worshiping their imaginary magical sky daddy.

For those who say it's not to be taken literally..

where in the Bible does it say that it's not to be taken literally?

If you rationalized this on your own...than why should the stories of Jesus be taken literally? Why should the teachings of God be taken literally? Why can't they just be stories of fiction, just like these? I know you won't read this Xians, I know you won't think about this...this is really intended for the person asking.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

OMFG! You mean all these times my teacher said to circle something i was supposed to draw a 3 Dimensional shape?!?!?

Lets see ANY one of you go to a geometry and argue that a circle and a sphere are the same thing.

Also, The bible. It's just a book of stories and quotes from people who had free reign over stuff that is illegal today and could get drunk off their *** and smoke whatever. If this is something that came down from "God" himself then don't ya think he would have been smart enough to phrase it so it could be understood clearly throughout all of time?

Source(s): I'm an athiest im my own source and if there was a god then he wouldn't see fit for 2 innocent 3 month old babies in seperate parts of new york get brutally murdered by their fathers. http://www.steubencourier.com/news/x1353760516/Fat... http://justice4caylee.forumotion.net/murdered-chil...
  • A
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

That verse actually says the Earth is round.

The part about the circle of the Earth and all. It says God sits on top of the circle of the Earth. How do they know the Earth has a circular shape all the way up there? Funny how it says the Heavens are stretched out like a canopy...Astronomers believe the Universe is stretched out like a canopy, too. Mostly because of evidence....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:End_of_universe....

Oh, and here are 3 more verses from the Bible that says the Earth is round: Job 26:10, Prov 8:27, Amos 9:6.

• 3 years ago

Context, context context. The scripture is speaking with regard to the sunlight increasing and showing the coolest factors of the outdoors of the earth. perhaps mountains and valleys, form of like the sting of that seal you related to, thank you for the religion retaining imagery. to boot to the form of the Earth being defined at Is 40:22, there is likewise activity 26:7 (New worldwide version) 7 He spreads out the northern skies over empty area; he suspends the earth over no longer something. Now how interior the worldwide did activity understand the Earth replaced into only suspended in area? maximum persons in this time believed the Earth sat on 4 elephants who have been status on a large sea turtle.

• 10 years ago

God works in mysterious ways. How else could the Earth be spherical and flat at the same time? Just the same as how pi = 3.

• Karl
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

So from the moon the earth looks spherical?

You can see it all from one side. Your good.

From Heaven, that is the view. It looks flat and circle like. One can not see the other side. Sorta map like, not globe like. Get it?

From any distance the moon, earth, sun and other planets look circular, not spherical. Understand?

You attack without any knowledge or understanding, why? I hope you are seeking wisdom and not just a fool.

take care.

The people look like grasshoppers, the view is from a distance. Get it yet?

• I don't see how that's saying the Earth is flat.

Generally, if you have a passage in which something is said to be "like" something else, it really is a metaphor. I learned this in 7th grade English. Didn't you?

Further, if something is above the "circle" of my head, does that mean that my head is a flat, 2D object?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.