What are some casserole or dishes you can cook or assemble and freeze? Recipes please..?

I have a friend that is not well and I'm planning a trip to see them. I want to make a few different things that they can keep in their freezer and just throw in the oven on days when they have no energy left to cook. I will do lasagna but please I need a few more ideas. Tried and tested recipes please.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Update:

Thank you so far everyone...more ideas are still welcome please! Think I would like to make about 4 different meals for the freezer and maybe 2 or 3 of each of them. Also some soups. Would cream based soups work or will they thaw all funny?

Also Morgan yes please, if you can find that recipe that would be great thank you!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is great that you are prepared to help your friend out this way. These is a recipethat I have frozen successfully. Just freeze it in the correct portions. There are some more ideas at the site below.

Beef and Noodle Casserole

This Beef and Noodle Casserole is one of those easy recipes for ground beef that provides nutritious comfort food with maximum flavor. You can use the quantities below to feed a crowd or freeze half for later. Alternatively, you can use leftovers from any of our simple ground beef recipes - combine with pasta and top with cheese before baking.

Choose robust pasta shells - Farfalle or Fusille are good choices.

# A little effort (easy if the ground beef is already prepared)

# Preparation time: 30 minutes

# Cooking time: about 1 hour to bake ground beef - 30 minutes baking once assembled

# Serves: 8 (or makes 2 meals for 4 people)

Ingredients:

# 2 lb 2 oz / 1 kg ground beef

# 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated

# 2 celery sticks, finely sliced

# 2 onions, finely chopped

# 2 cloves garlic

# 1 can tomatoes

# 2 tablespoons fresh oregano

# 1 cup beef stock

# salt and pepper

# 8 oz / 250g raw pasta shells

# 3 cups grated cheese

You will need a casserole dish with a lid. It is worth using one that can be used on the hob as well to save on washing-up.

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F / 180° C.

2. Brown the ground beef in 4 - 5 batches. If you attempt to brown it all at once, you will land up with a gray, watery mass. Keep on one side.

3. Brown the onions until they are a deep caramel color. This helps to give the dish flavor.

4. Add the garlic, carrots and celery. Continue frying for 2 - 3 minutes until the vegetables are slightly soft.

5. Add the tinned tomatoes and break them up. Add the oregano and beef stock.

6. Finally add back the ground beef. Place a lid on the casserole dish and bake for about 1 - 1½ hours until the mince is soft and the sauce is rich. Season with salt and pepper.

7. Whilst the ground beef is baking, cook the pasta. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until it is 'al dente'. Drain and keep aside.

8. To assemble: add the pasta to the ground beef. Spoon into ovenproof dishes - either one large one (for about 8 people) or 2 smaller ones (each feeding 4 people).

9. Sprinkle over the cheese. Return to the oven and bake for about ½ hour until the cheese has melted. Serve the Beef and Noodle Casserole with a big green salad.

• 10 years ago

Most casseroles can be frozen, if you precook them, seal them in an air-tight as possible container and do not keep them in the freezer very long. Do keep in mind the larger the casserole, the longer the defrosting and cooking time. What you store them in also makes a big difference.

If you have a seal-a-meal or similar product, prepare individual servings or several servings in boil-safe bags or microwave safe bags. These are much easier to make, cook and clean up after. Laying them flat in the freezer will distribute the food evenly and make it easier to defrost and/or cook. Note on the bag with a magic marker what it is and the date it was made.

Sliced meats for sandwiches is always an easy thing to fix ... just thaw and place on bread ... no cooking and no fuss ... easy clean-up. Different kinds of meats should be sealed in individual sealed packages ... do not mix your meats, please. Turkey you have cooked or a roast or chicken will always taste better than ones you purchase in a deli. Sliced turkey or chicken with stuffing can easily be used as the main dish.

Baked spaghetti is a favorite of mine. Meatloaf is easy to fix. Veggies are usually easy on the tummy.

Some fruits freeze and keep very well ... defrost in frig and they are still cool/cold when served. Hint: Blue berries, rhubarb, strawberries and many fruits can be frozen on a cookie sheet, then poured into a zip-lock bag and thawed as needed ... no cooking necessary. Make it simple and easy on both ends!

Home made soups and stews are always welcome. Do not confine yourself to just casseroles ... be creative!

If you plan on cooking on the grill before you go ... package up some of the items to take to your friend. This shows you were thinking about them and wished they could have been there for your cook out.

Cooked hamburgers and hot dogs freeze well ... just take along some lettuce, tomato and buns with you!

Start their morning out easy and with a thank-you smile ... even if you don't see it ... buy or make some waffles/pancakes that can be heated in the toaster or microwave and add a bottle of home made fruit syrup. Mash/blend most any fruit ... add sugar or Karo Syrup, cook until it thickens, place in a jar to be refrigerated. Honey with soft butter that has been whipped into it is also a good topping ... real butter, no margarine, please. Jars that have a large opening is usually best, so it can be dipped out with a small dipper or spoon.

Source(s): Experience over the last 60 years. :)
  • 10 years ago

Crock Pot Cabbage Beef Soup

1 small head of cabbage sliced thin or shredded

1 pound ground beef or turkey or chicken

1 can red beans

1 box beef stock

1 large can tomato sauce

1 can chopped tomatoes

2 onions sliced thin

2 cloves garlic minced or 1 teaspoon or garlic powder

Salt, pepper,

Brown meat off lightly and drain off any fat.

Layer all ingredients in Crock pot and then pour liquid over all

If not covered add water, stir and put on low for about 8 hours.

If you want to cook it faster, sauté cabbage and onions after browning

meat and add to crock pot and put on high for about an hour.

Easy Chicken Tetrazzini

1 lb boneless chicken breasts or a whole chicken cut up

1 lb spaghetti

1 small box velveeta cheese

1 can rotel tomatoes

1 can cream of chicken soup

¼ cup shredded cheese

In a large pot of boiling water seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic power and onion powder place (or use fresh garlic and onion minced) place chicken and cook gently until done (about 20 minutes)

Remove chicken from water (reserve the water) and return water to a boil.

Add pasta and cook until aldente

Cool chicken and cut into bite size pieces

In a small pot put soup, cheese and Rotel and melt slowly together

Drain pasta and place in a large casserole dish and mix in chicken and cheese mixture. Sprinkle shredded cheese over top. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes til bubbly and serve with some crusty bread. This freezes exceptionally well so make a double batch and freeze one without baking. When cooking later be sure to defrost before baking

• 10 years ago

We always make baked ziti for situations like this. A nice casserole dish-size ziti is easy to make, freezes well, dethaws and cooks with little effort, and tastes wonderful. We actually use the recipe listed in the source section, have made it several times in the last year. We always add the pepperoni slices that they list as optional too.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I make that recipe all the time, cept I add Frenches cheddar fried onions to the top five minutes before I take it out of the oven. and I thaw my hash browns in the micro (saves from getting that raw potato taste). we serve ours as a side dish sometimes with brats on the grill, hamburgers, ham whatever. though if you are going to do it as a main dish you could have garlic bread with it and a nice salad.

• mark
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

The obvious ones are the Lasagna like dishes (various lasagna's, ziti, pasticio, eggplant parm, chicken parm, eggplant rollatini)

Chicken soup or any soup not based on cream

marinara sauce, bolognese sauce, puttanesca sauce, pesto sauce

beef stew,

chicken cacciatore

(actually most stews or braises not based on fish are good selections)

• 10 years ago

My mom makes stuffed shells and puts them in the freezer. But that's a little Original. She makes spinach rolls. They're like lasagna rolls but they have spinach and ricotta cheese and prosciutto. im not sure of the recipe, but i will get it and send it to you.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I have made even eggrolls in advance but not fry them until you take them out of the freezer.

you may want to wrap them individually in wax paper.

for a short cut I use pre bagged coleslaw mixes you find in the produce aisle.

Source(s): self
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

We are now doing the following:

1. At your grocery store, buy the sealed PRE-COOKED meats that come is small packages such as the following. You can make two or three meals out of them:

Beef tips with gravy,

Roast with gravy,

Pork roast,

Chicken,

Baked ham,

Pork chops,

Meatloaf,

etc.

Just heat in your microwave; directions are on the packages. You will find these packages in the cold section (not the freezer). Ask a clerk to help you find these. They are delicious.

Use these for your meat dish with a side dish or two of canned or frozen vegetables, beans, potatoes or sweet potatoes which can all be found on shelves or in the freezer section and they are already cooked.

You can now buy bags of different flavors of precooked rice that you put into your microwave for a minute or two. These are on shelves at the grocery store. We like the chicken flavored best of all. Have a clerk help you find them.

Real mashed potatoes that come in a bag...add water, butter, milk. Delicious. Read the directions.

Jars of all types of sauces for making pastas. On shelves.

Boxes of pastas with everything needed inside the boxes. On shelves.

Buy top brand cans of stew for each person. Serve with cornbread, crackers, or toast.

Soup and a grilled (fried) cheese sandwiches. Go to this video to see how to make a quick grilled cheese sandwich:

http://startcooking.com/video/326/Grilled-Cheese-S...

Omelet with Cheese - Video:

http://startcooking.com/video/326/Grilled-Cheese-S...

You can buy all types of salad greens in large packages now. Buy the ones that have been pre-washed. Add your own dressing which you can buy in bottles.

2. The top brands of microwave frozen dinners are very good now. These come in single servings or in family sized bags. Follow directions. Look for the words "No Preservatives" marked on the box or package.

Just add a canned or frozen vegetable as a side dish.

Top brands of dinners that are found on shelves. No fridge needed. Add water, microwave. These are good to take to school or work. Follow directions on the containers.

3. Video On How To Cook A Rib Eye Steak on Stove Burner (turn on your sound), click this link:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-rib-eye-s...

4. Supermarket deli's have pre roasted chickens, fried chickens, roast beef, and side dishes. You can stop in on the way home and grab a quick dinner to take home. I buy their roasted chicken often...they are delicious.

5. Buy a crock pot. You put everything into the pot in the morning, set it on low for 8 hours, and your dinner will be ready for you when you come home in the evening! I kid you not. Be sure to read the instruction booklet.

There is a recipe booklet that comes with the crock pot. You can buy crock pots at places such as your grocery store, Walmart, and etc.

Here are 1,160 crock pot recipes:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=crock+pot

DON'T FORGET TO PLUG IT IN! This happens more than you would think. lol

6. Salads. All types:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/saladrecipes/Sala...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.