Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 10 years ago

Yahoo Answers - Do We Have A Responsibility to Censor?

Is it true that the current Yahoo Community Guidelines are broad enough that almost any question or answer may be reported as abuse?

I don't agree with this view, by the way. But a new friend has suggested it may be so, and I want to at least pretend to be open minded! =D

What's your experience of Y!A been? What questions or answers that you consider inoffensive have been removed?

Does Y!A (and by extension, us) have a duty of care to censor questions and answers? Or, does it (and we) have a responsibility and right to let people say whatever they want even if it is morally repugnant?

Also, what is your opinion, please, of the reporting system?

Peace! =D

"Is it true that the current Yahoo Community Guidelines are broad enough that almost any question or answer may be reported as abuse?"

No, I don't believe it is. The Community Guidelines basically say no spamming, no flaming, no advertising, and basic stuff like that, all of which are pretty clear. The only one that's hard to interpret would be what classifies something as "chat" (especially since we have an entire section dedicated to polls and surveys), but if you really want to, even that can be avoided.

"What's your experience of Y!A been? What questions or answers that you consider inoffensive have been removed? "

Way too many to count have been wrongly removed. I had my first account suspended because of it. So overall, I'd say my experience has much room for improvement.

"Does Y!A (and by extension, us) have a duty of care to censor questions and answers? Or, does it (and we) have a responsibility and right to let people say whatever they want even if it is morally repugnant?"

Neither. Concerning the first topic, just because they use us as their outlet doesn't mean it suddenly becomes OUR responsibility. If we see something offensive, we have every right to report it, but you shouldn't feel obligated to do so. I mean, it is Yahoo's website after all. If they really wanted to buckle down on violations here, they'd hire some people to do it on their behalf, not rely on the community. Concerning the second topic, this is a privately-owned website and as such the owners of it made their own rules. It just so happens freedom of speech isn't something they believe very strongly in.

"Also, what is your opinion, please, of the reporting system?"

Horrible. The reporting system here is probably one of the most inefficient and broken pieces of crap I've ever seen.

Firstly, Answers is a community-moderated site. That means this community moderates the site by reporting content that goes against the Community Guidelines or Terms of Service. Offending content doesn't belong here at all and must be reported to the Answers Team. Customer Care will then hash out the appropriate punishment to the abusers. It's a fair system.

Secondly, there's no censorship here. Those very rules are here for a purpose-to dictate on what can or can't be said here. Remember this is the house that Yahoo has built, so you must follow the rules they made at all times. If you feel the rules are way too draconian, then I strongly suggest that you stop using this service immediately. You can either go to Dizzay.com or start your own Q&A site where there are no rules and you can practice your own brand of free speech. Please refer to the rules to avoid getting violations that can result in an account suspension or deactivation.

The people in charge of YA do censor, the mod gods to be specific. They do not allow Q's to post to the board. The ones that do post do not last on the voting board very long before they get "resolved" out of sight. The politics section is a very hot button section. The mod gods are in the loop when a violation is appealed, they are also the ones that suspend accounts. They are all different people and their bias shines forth very brightly.

This place is not fun anymore. Things are kept as tight as a 2nd grade class in a big grown up real world. Censorship for threats and stuff listed above, yes. but these mod gods are ultra utopian socialist head in the sand people. Some people who haunt this place seem to extract their identity from here.

This place isn't fun anymore. The censorship level is completely ridiculous. A lot of people are getting fed up, if the numbers drop so too will the advertisement revenues.

.

.

"What's your experience of Y!A been? What questions or answers that you consider inoffensive have been removed?"

Just today I had this question removed:

"Is it useless to pour our heart and soul into purifying the world...when it is merely a reflection?"

Maybe about two weeks ago:

"Why don't we all start planting fruit trees all over the world, all different kinds?"

There was nothing offensive at all contained in either question. Even worse, if Yahoo is going to give the Answers community the task of reporting 'offensive' questions then they should at least READ the questions when we dispute a violation.

UGH. Sorry. I just found out about this violation and I'm upset. Thank you for your question.

Love and blessings :)

• ?

This is a community moderated site, meaning the users report abuses of the Terms of Service and the community guidelines. Since it is a privately owned site there is NO Freedom of speech. Tell your friend he has the option to participate according to the rules or not become a member,

It isn't censorship and it isn't Yahoo, it's community moderation. All it takes is 2 "trusted" members to report a violation and the bots remove it. You or your friend may find it beneficial to familiarize yourself with community guidelines and terms of service. When there is no moderation message boards can quickly deteriorate to boards full of profanity, bad taste, insults, harassment and other less than pleasant behaviour. We all have the choice, participate on Yahoo's terms or not at all. By and large it's a very worthwhile pass time, we can help others and learn at the same time.

http://answers.yahoo.com/info/community_…

http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/uto…

Yahoo Answers is a internet site setup by way of a personal manufacturer. Private corporations have a proper to make their possess insurance policies approximately what is going to be allowed on their web pages. If I am on your apartment, you've gotten a authorized proper to kick me out if you do not like what I say, freedom of talk does now not follow. Why do folks insist on placing questions and reply on right here that do not adhere to the spirit of sharing knowledge? There are hundreds of thousands of web pages setup for sharing critiques and debating. I might advise that folks who desire to discuss discover one on their matter of curiosity or setup their possess. That is freedom of speech.

nope.the site as i see it should be a reflection of society.you try shielding people from crap and it has the opposite effect.it just one day comes when you,re in public.also there are many questions and answers that are not fit for animals.this occurs on every site.last night on singles and dating.about drinking something.it.s most likely still posted.what is the use of me reporting when it,s useless.you need two.why does it say one or more trusted members?so.i.m not trusted?i,ll just answer from now on.and as i always do.i will give MY opinion.PS.that question?over 20 answers in 7 minutes...