What's a good ressource for Iraqi recipes/dishes/meals?

Salam alaikum

I need like a website or other ressources...

We are mixed culture ( my husband is Iraqi and im Canadian) and he often wants to eat the food from back home, but I am way more used to cook canadian/american foods ( which he is getting tired of, or he is not interested much in it... he eats but it won't full him the way he would with iraqi foods).

So please, can someone indicate me where I could find some good iraqi recipes? Like some favorites or not so hard to follow recipes? Maybe arabic recipes too, not necessarily Iraqi..

I know some of it, like behriani rice, Tashrib with meat/potatoes or zucchini ... I know Bania ( with okra)... some other things there, but I need other ideas!

It is Ramadan coming up soon, and I dont want him to go hungry at futoor because I made canadian foods :) ... which by the way, HAPPY RAMADAN ALL MUSLISM BROTHERS AND SISTERS !

Thanks all :)

Salams

He is from the south iraq ( dewaniyah )!!

And he is not too good with Dolma's, altho I just love it so much!

• Esra

thats so cute :)

guess men will always be men..sis Ahebak is right..we LOVE dolma but as far as i have seen men in general don't seem to like it as women

i would have asked mom for you coz she is a GREAT cook and i usually cook simply/healthy types of food and not v.Iraqi style

I will write what my dad and bros love:

1. tashreeb bajela

I will write as far as i remember..you soak bajela over night..then next day you put it with alot of water (with little baking powder to make it softer)..add little salt..let it cook for about 1.5h ..then you put bread (arabian tashreeb type of bread) and soak it with the bajela water and some bajela on it..then on a side put alot of chopped onion with oil and heat till golden..pour this ontop of the bread&bajela.. you can add some dried fine mint (makes it taste REALLY good)

and serve with lemon ((if i have said the recipie wrong i will ask mom and re-edit to you tommorow inshallah)

this is how bajela looks before cooking http://www.ofok.net/jml3/images/stories/355246582....

2. tapsee (chicken or meat you choose)

Again as far as i have seen..you get:

-potatoes cut into thick circles+bathenjan also cut into curcles http://www.esu.edu/~milewski/intro_biol_two/lab_4_... ..onion chopped into sclices..1 tomato cut into thick circle

- boiled cooked cut chicken

-to prepare the souce: water (or better the chicken stock)+thick concentrated tomato souce..pepper+salt..heat untill boiled then lower the temp.and let it stay on for 20-25min

you fry the potato and bethenjan "as u fry anything else" put it in the oven trate that you oiled alittle..put on top of them the cooked chicken..the onlions then the tomato (as in layers) then pour ontop the souse and put in the overn for about 45-1h (served with white rice or bread)

3. kubba

4. kabab

- Iraqi kebab :

six sandwiches, mix one pound of meat (traditionally a mixture of beef and fatty lamb) with one small grated onion, ¼ cup of flour or bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper. The fat particles melt and drip during grilling, leaving behind small cavities, which give kebab its characteristic light texture. Divide the mixture into 6 portions, and insert each into an inch-wide skewer (available at Middle-Eastern grocery shops). With moistened hands, press the meat until it is about 6 inches long; make dents by pressing between the thumb and index finger. Suspend the prepared skewers over a lighted brazier (or a regular grill, keeping them from touching the grill by setting them on crumbled foil at each end). Grill for about 10 minutes, turning to brown on both sides, and fanning most of the time to prevent the fire from flaring and burning the meat. Roll in flat bread with some chopped parsley, tomatoes, and thinly sliced onion sprinkled with sumac. Serve the sandwich with a refreshing drink of yogurt whisked with cold water and a pinch of salt.

http://www.iraq4u.com/forum/m_1533/tm.htm

Source(s): tried typing some of my moms recipies as far as i remember them (coz she teaches me but i never done these heavy dishes before)
  • Ann

It's the Iraqi government that has asked the US to remain for three years. Protesters are a dime a dozen in Iraq, so let's not be overly influenced by that reasoning. The Iraqi army has developed into a self sufficient military force with the Americans there as back up and continue training of the Iraqi's. The suffering, death , and destruction will continue until the Iraqi army destroys the last of this element. Unfortunately, the insurgency uses this as it's expression that it is unhappy with US presence. Israel had a very effective way to combat this kind of activity years ago, when extremists would bomb Israeli's on a regular basis. When the extremists were killed or captured, it would locate his family's home, evict his family, and blow up their home. Perhaps the Iraqi's need to think in these terms, as well !

Esra gave you a full answer lol.

But I think definitely Koba!! And Tepsi, Maqlooba, Biryani, Timan wa Fasooliya, Timan wa Bamya, Dolma, etc.

Iraqis LOVE Dolma...

But i guess it kind of depends on where your husband is from... in iraq (Northern, Southern..etc)

But try this...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dolma-(Grape-Leaves-Ro...

Ramadan Kareem to you too :) ♥

www.shiitekosher.com

Source(s): Shiite Zionist השיעים הציוני