Which is better - laptop cooling fan or mat/pad?

My laptops getting very hot and often shutting down because its overheating, so am thinking of buying something to help, but which is better, one of the cooling fan stands or one of the gel cooling pads? Obviously the gel pad only lasts a few hours, but I only use it a few hours at a time, so its more which is more... show more My laptops getting very hot and often shutting down because its overheating, so am thinking of buying something to help, but which is better, one of the cooling fan stands or one of the gel cooling pads? Obviously the gel pad only lasts a few hours, but I only use it a few hours at a time, so its more which is more efficient at lowering its temperature for a couple of hours than anything else
Update: Im using CoreTemp to monitor my laptop and can see it reaches 100+ celsius when it shuts down