Girls please answer. Easy 10 points: Is this REALLY true about relationships these days?

I am a single 24-year-old man (I am not gay just for the record), and I find myself ready for a relationship again after a nasty break-up (another story entirely) yet slightly afraid of sex due to my ex using it as a bargaining chip and me feeling used (repeat: I am NOT gay, I just don't believe in the mantra... show more I am a single 24-year-old man (I am not gay just for the record), and I find myself ready for a relationship again after a nasty break-up (another story entirely) yet slightly afraid of sex due to my ex using it as a bargaining chip and me feeling used (repeat: I am NOT gay, I just don't believe in the mantra "I got sex, who cares how it happened?").
Yet I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago (she's my old flatmate, but I have never felt THAT way about her at all) and she happened to come out with this "the way you define relationship over friendship is that at some point you WILL have sex"
Seriously WTF?? Is THAT the ONLY way people define relationships these days? What about other kinds of intimacy? Romance, sharing your life with someone, connection, being together?
If what my friend said is true then I don't think I want another relationship (yes I AM being honest here). If someone I was with really TRULY cared about me as much as I cared about them then I wouldn't CARE if or when we had sex because I'd be too busy appreciating my good fortune.
In your opinion is my friend just speaking from her own opinion - she's single btw? Or has she hit the nail on the head? Thanks x