Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Do L!berals and Conservatives understand what Black Liberation theology is all about?

James Cone, the chief architect of Black Liberation Theology in his book A Black Theology of Liberation (1970), develops black theology as a system. In this new formulation, Christian theology is a theology of liberation -- "a rational study of the being of God in the world in light of the existential situation of an oppressed community, relating the forces of liberation to the essence of the gospel, which is Jesus Christ," writes Cone. Black consciousness and the black experience of oppression orient black liberation theology -- i.e., one of victimization from white oppression.

One of the tasks of black theology, says Cone, is to analyze the nature of the gospel of Jesus Christ in light of the experience of oppressed blacks. For Cone, no theology is Christian theology unless it arises from oppressed communities and interprets Jesus' work as that of liberation. Christian theology is understood in terms of systemic and structural relationships between two main groups: victims (the oppressed) and victimizers (oppressors). In Cone's context, writing in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the great event of Christ's liberation was freeing African Americans from the centuries-old tyranny of white racism and white oppression.

American white theology, which Cone never clearly defines, is charged with having failed to help blacks in the struggle for liberation. Black theology exists because "white religionists" failed to relate the gospel of Jesus to the pain of being black in a white racist society.

Black Liberation Theology actually encourages a victim mentality among blacks. John McWhorters' book Losing the Race, will be helpful here. Victimology, says McWhorter, is the adoption of victimhood as the core of one's identity -- for example, like one who suffers through living in "a country and who lived in a culture controlled by rich white people." It is a subconscious, culturally inherited affirmation that life for blacks in America has been in the past and will be in the future a life of being victimized by the oppression of whites. In today's terms, it is the conviction that, 40 years after the Civil Rights Act, conditions for blacks have not substantially changed. As Wright intimates, for example, scores of black men regularly get passed over by cab drivers.

Reducing black identity to "victimhood" distorts the reality of true progress. For example, was Obama a victim of widespread racial oppression at the hand of "rich white people" before graduating from Columbia University, Harvard Law School magna *** laude, or after he acquired his estimated net worth of $1.3 million? How did "rich white people" keep Obama from succeeding? If Obama is the model of an oppressed black man, I want to be oppressed next! With my graduate school debt my net worth is literally negative $52,659.

http://www.acton.org/pub/commentary/2008/04/02/mar...

Lawgirl......

Please get informed.

This is definitely NOT a healthy form of 'Christianity'.

What does Obama being Black have to do with anything???

• Golfer

You could take a 2x4 smack those idiots across the head and they still wouldn't comprehend the evil of "Black Liberation Theology" or "Social Justice as I heard it was called.

They also say you have to read Marx to understand the Bible.

The reason they don't get "IT"? The don't have the love of Jesus in them and they just spew their hate towards not me or you but the hate is towards Jesus. It is written Saul Saul why perfectionist ME said Jesus. You can't reason with haters, idol worshipers and anti-Christians because they can't ever except the truth or they would have to repent. The don't want the truth they would rather live a lie.

Because a person who lives in the truth has to take responsibility for their actions and not blame Bush, or Obama but what was there part in the outcome. If you voted for Obama you wanted socialism so why blame Bush for your own failures. I criticize Bush for his mistakes so does that mean I hate white people?

No the people are living a lie and they soon will have to pay, some with loss of life but we are all losing our freedoms and some their integrity.

The American enemies doesn't care if you live a lie they will kill you anyway.

Michael Novak's "Spirit of Democratic Capitalism" has some criticism of Liberation Theology, though you'll probably find plenty on Acton's site.

Did Romare say you couldn't define a healthy form of Christianity, and then go on to assert a "demonic branch" which apparently isn't healthy..?

Most people don't understand what it is, especially conservatives.

Conservatives just use it as a "bogeyman" term and use it to simply say that it's someone that's a Black racist.

Wrong. It's simply teaching of the Black Christian faith that has its roots in slavery. It was officially organized in to "Black Liberation Theology" about 30+ years ago.

Reverend Jeremiah Wright explains it on Hannity & Colmes here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNTGRL0OJWQ

Youtube thumbnail

I suggest you wait until Colmes interviews him, because with Hannity it's mainly him shouting down Reverend Wright and it's harder to hear anything coherent. Wright goes uninterrupted in his explanation when asked by Alan Colmes.

Here's another great interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_KF5p57WHE

Youtube thumbnail

WOW! you found a definition that had "BLACK" in it and ran with it. Let me guess, because Obama is "BLACK"....LOL!

Here's the TRUE definition:

Liberation theology[1] is a movement in Christian theology which interprets the teachings of Jesus Christ in terms of a liberation from unjust economic, political, or social conditions. It has been described by proponents as "an interpretation of Christian faith through the poor's suffering, their struggle and hope, and a critique of society and the Catholic faith and Christianity through the eyes of the poor",[2] and by detractors as Christianity influenced by Marxism and Communism.[3]

Although liberation theology has grown into an international and inter-denominational movement, it began as a movement within the Roman Catholic church in Latin America in the 1950s - 1960s. Liberation theology arose principally as a moral reaction to the poverty caused by social injustice in that region. The term was coined in 1971 by the Peruvian priest Gustavo Gutiérrez, who wrote one of the movement's most famous books, A Theology of Liberation. Other noted exponents are Leonardo Boff of Brazil, Jon Sobrino of El Salvador, and Juan Luis Segundo of Uruguay.[4][5][6]

The influence of liberation theology diminished after proponents using Marxist concepts were admonished by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) in 1984 and 1986. The Vatican criticized certain strains of Liberation Theology for focusing on institutional dimensions of sin to the exclusion of the individual; and for allegedly misidentifying the church hierarchy as members of the privileged class.[7]

As always, you did a fine job of cutting and pasting. But yes, I actually DO understand what it means, and trust me, your pasted excerpt does nothing to explain how it is preached in reality or how it affects the people who hear it or what it truly means.

You don't get to decide what is a healthy form of Christianity, especially in light of people all around us who seem to be from the demonic branch of Christianity, which apparently has a different Bible and a different Jesus than I have--theirs is into greed, selfishness, judgment, violence and self-righteousness. Mine is not.

No. I went to a catholic school for 4 years and CCD for many more and I still don't know everything about Christianity. You don't know about a religion because of an excerpt.

Edit-why do you always respond to my posts? Maybe because they show what a simpleton you are? I don't judge religions that I know little about. I suggest you grow up and stop judging people.

Why do blacks make excuses for their own failures. Hate is hate.

• ?

all christianity is stupid - the worship of a fictional zombie.

I'm quite colored blind, sorry!! And a Conserv to boot! For logical reasons! :P

You have one major flaw. Obama is NOT a black man.