? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Should President Obama Declare An Emergency To Cancel Elections and Silence Opposition?

Thanks to Woodrow Wilson's Trading with the Enemy Act and FDR's Proclamation 2039, the President of The United States can declare an emergency and take total control of the nation.

According to Senate report 93-549, "Under the powers delegated by these statutes, the President may: seize property; organize and control the means of production; seize commodities; assign military forces abroad; institute martial law; seize and control all transportation and communication; regulate the operation of private enterprise; restrict travel; and, in a plethora of particular ways, control the lives of all American citizens."

President Obama doesn't need to have a bunch of uneducated neocons being elected in November getting in his way. Why couldn't President Obama simply exercise emergency powers to cancel November elections and silence Rush, Beck and all the other troublemakers, so he can continue to fundamentally change America?

• Toledo
    Favorite Answer

I have seen that same question since the days of Nixon.

Ain't going to happen, the congress would throw him out faster then shiiiiiiit.

You really are under the misguided assumption that the President has an incredible amount of power. Remember Bush said it would be a hell of a lot easier to be a dictator? He was right, politically wrong to say it, but 100% right. Our system does not allow the president to have UNCHECKED power.

Read and study your constitution, its all in there.

Sometimes I think that people forget that we have a House of Representatives, a Senate, and a Supreme Court that are just as powerful, if they choose to exercise their power, as the Executive Branch. That's part of the problem with the political process today.. People focus so much on the President -as if he were a king, when in actuality the President has very little domestic power - power that is all dependent on how politically capable he is of getting congressmen and senators to go along with his agenda. All this focus on the President and making him a messiah, a lightning rod, and a scapegoat - it takes the heat off of the legislative branch and allows them to pretty much do what they want - represent lobbyists vs the people, spend outrageous sums of money on earmarks.. ect.. The Executive Branch basically runs interference for the rest of the federal/corporate state. That's the President's role - to be the magicians right hand - while the left hand is actually pulling the tricks and the fast ones.

I almost wish he would try...the military would stage a coup and we'd be rid of him long before 2012. Google "The Oathkeepers,!0 orders (from Obama) the military will NOT obey...!!

You didn't get that from Mr Jones did you? He said the same thing about the last guy.

Nope, it would take a dictator wannabe like george w bush to try something like that, but he lacked the backbone to try and make his dream into a reality!

Source(s): "In this case I wouldn't put it past a Democrat, they actually think they know what is best for all of us." LOL Funny how it's the republicans that mistakenly think they know best for pregnant women and same sex couples!

Nobody has ever used that power. I see no reason to believe Obama will.

• Sonia

I didn't think it was a good idea when people suggested GW Bush do so and I don't think it's a good idea now.

• Chin T

Mark Levin wrote Liberty and Tyranny

Are you trying to say he was right

Now, if he doesn't do it, which of course you know already...that'll make you sound pretty silly, won't it? Forgive me...I forgot myself...future tense here doesn't really apply.

isn't that the same thing liberals thought Bush would do? In this case I wouldn't put it past a Democrat, they actually think they know what is best for all of us.