Jehovah Witnesses, in regards to 1 Corinthians 11:3...?

I want you to look at 1 Corinthians 11:3, which is often times cited by Jehovah Witnesses to prove Jesus is not God. It says, 'But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.'

But what I have to ask, does this show Jesus inferior to the Father by [nature]? If one will insist that it does, then to be consistent, he would have to say the same regarding the woman to the man! Though a wife is subject to her husband in the Lord, she is [not] inferior to him by nature. The same is true with the relationship between the Lord Jesus and the Father.

Update:

[Edit]

Well, considering I'm not arguing that Christ is greater than the Father, rather, equal, your points are void null.

Update 2:

But the question is, is the man greater than the wife by [nature]? That is, is the nature of man greater than the nature of woman?

Update 3:

That is, is man more 'divine' than a woman?

Update 4:

Abernathy, absolute non-sense. Man has the nature of a human being. Likewise, woman has a nature of a human being. Now, because a man is a human being, and his wife is a human being, does that make them one in the same person?

Update 5:

Ratchet, no, because Christ has the same nature as the Father, that is, they are both equally GOD. Likewise, the man and woman are both human beings.

Philippians 2:5-11 makes it known that Christ existed in the form of God, and did not think it should be something to be exploited to His own advantage. Rather, Christ, who existed in the form of God, that is, the very nature/essence of God, humbled Himself, He took on the form of a bond servant. Thus, He took on the limitations of humanity, and the voluntary nonuse of some of His divine prerogatives during the time He was on earth. Likewise, Hebrews 2:9 tells us, 'But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.'

Update 6:

Further, Ratchet, I'm not the one that uses 1 Corinthians 11:3 to support that the Father is greater in NATURE than Christ. That would be.. YOU, the Jehovah Witness. I'm simply showing, you can not make that assumption, because this isn't about the NATURE of anything.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

http://4jehovah.org/jehovahs-witness-nwt-errors.ph...

List of Mistranslated Verses in the Christian Greek Scriptures (New Testament) of Jehovah’s Witnesses

The Greek word “Kurios” meaning “Lord” is mistranslated as “Jehovah” or “Jehovah’s.”

* Matthew 22:44; 23:39; 23:39; 27:10

* Mark 5:19; 12:29; 12:30; 12:36; 13:20

* Luke 1:25; 1:28; 1:32; 1:58; 1:68; 2:15; 20:42

* Acts 2:34; 2:39; 2:47; 3:22; 7:33; 7:49; 12:11; 12:17; 13:47

* Romans 4:8; 9:28; 9:29; 12:19; 14:11;

* 1 Corinthians 1:31; 3:20; 4:4; 4:19; 7:17; 14:21; 16:7

* 2 Corinthians 6:17; 6:18; 10:18

* Colossians 3:13

* 1 Thessalonians 4:6

* 2 Timothy 1:18; 2:19 (twice); 4:14

* Hebrews 7:21; 8:2; 8:8; 8:9; 8:10; 10:16; 10:30; 12:6; 13:6

* James 4:15; 5:15

* 2 Peter 2:9; 3:9

* Jude 5, 9, 14

* Revelation 1:8; 4:11; 18:8; 19:6; 21:22; 22:5; 22:6

Greek word “Kurie” meaning “Lord” is mistranslated as Jehovah.”

* John 12:38

* Acts 1:24; 4:29; 7:60

* Romans 10:16; 11:3; 14:6 (three times); 14:8 (three times)

* Revelation 15:4; 16:7

The Greek word “Kuriou” meaning “of Lord” or “of Lord’s” is mistranslated as “Jehovah” or “Jehovah’s.”

* Matthew 1:20; 1:22; 1:24; 2:13, 2:15; 2:19; 3:3; 21:24; 28:2

* Mark 1:3; 11:9; 12:11

* Luke 1:6; 1:9; 1:15; 1:45; 1:66; 1:76; 2:9 (twice); 2:23; 2:24; 2:26; 2:39; 3:4; 4:18; 4:19; 5:17; 13:35; 19:38

* John 1:11; 1:23; 1:38; 12:13; 12:38

* Acts 2:20; 2:21; 3:19; 4:26; 5:9; 5:19; 7:31; 8:22; 8:25; 8:26; 8:39; 9:31; 10:33; 11:21; 12:7; 12:23; 12:24; 13:10; 13:11; 13:12; 13:49; 15:35; 15:36; 15:40; 18:25; 19:20

* Romans 10:13; 11:34

* 1 Corinthians 10:21; 10:26; 11:32; 16:10

* 2 Corinthians 3:17 (twice) 3:18 (twice); 8:21

* Ephesians 5:17; 6:4; 6:8

* Colossians 1:10; 3:24

* 1 Thessalonians 1:8; 4:15; 5:2

* 2 Thessalonians 2:2; 2:13; 3:1

* Hebrews 12:5

* James 1:7; 4:10; 5:4; 5:10; 5:11 (twice); 5:14

* 1 Peter 1:25; 3:12

* 2 Peter 3:10

The Greek word “Kurion” meaning “Lord” is mistranslated as “Jehovah.”

* Matthew 4:7; 4:10; 22:37

* Luke 1:16; 1:46; 4:8; 4:12; 10:27; 30:37

* Acts 2:25; 8:24; 15:17

* Romans 15:11

* 1 Corinthians 10:9; 10:22

* 2 Corinthians 3:16

* Colossians 3:23

* Hebrews 8:11

* James 3:9

The Greek word “Kurio” meaning “Lord” is mistranslated as “Jehovah.”

* Matthew 5:33

* Luke 1:17; 2:22; 2:23

* Acts 13:2; 14:3; 14:23; 16:15

* Romans 12:11; 14:4

* 1 Corinthians 2:16

* 2 Corinthians 10:17

* Ephesians 2:21; 5:19; 6:7

* Colossians 3:22

* Hebrews 8:11

* James 3:9

The Greek word “Theos” meaning “God” is mistranslated as “Jehovah.”

* Hebrews 2:13

* Revelation 4:8

The Greek word “Theou” meaning “of God” or “of God’s” is mistranslated as “Jehovah’s.”

* Matthew 4:4

* John 6:45

* Acts 13:44; 13:48; 16:32; 18:21

* James 2:23

* 2 Peter 3:12

The Greek word “Theon” meaning “God” is mistranslated as “Jehovah.”

* Acts 16:14

The Greek word “Theo” meaning “God” is mistranslated as “Jehovah”.

* Romans 4:3

* Galatians 3:6

* Colossians 3:16

* James 2:23

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I have just checked my Westcott and Hort Greek text, and it differs from yours in the crucial word. CHRISTOS is NOT there! TON KYRION (the lord) is there. So Greek texts seem to differ on this crucial point. Here's how various translations treat the crucial word. King James....Christ New International..the Lord Living Bible..the Lord's patience Revised Standard...the Lord Moffats...the Lord Jerusalem Bible..the Lord New English Bible...the Lord Please don't assume that all the other translations and greek texts that differ are necessarily "out of step". I just read a book called Truth in translation comparing 9 new testaments, and the New World Translation came out top of the lot for lack of bias! NOT written by a Jehovah's Witness. also on "Jeopardy" the contestants were recently asked which was the most accurate translation, and the correct nswer was given as "New World Translation" published by Jehovah's witnesses! If you look in the appendix of the NWT it explains the use of "Jehovah", mostly when quotes are made by Christians from the old testament. Most translations these days acknowledge in small print in the preface that they substitute LORD in capitals for the divine name Jehovah in several thousand places. Hope this helps

• 9 years ago

You are making an assumption I believe.

When you will read the context of 1 Cor 11:3 (verse 4-15) you will notice that it speaks of headship/authority. Just as the wife is under the headship of his husband, so is Jesus, he is under the headship of Jehovah. Very simple, just understand the context. Why make further assumption on nature, when the verse clearly speaks of headship?

Using you argument, if 1 Cor 11:3 does not prove that Jesus is inferior in "nature" to God, then it would follows that man and wife is not also inferior to Jesus. Since 1 Cor 11:3 speaks of God, Jesus, man and wife!!

So why insist on the nature and make your own assumption? 1 Cor 11:3 clearly outlines the heirarchy headship regardless of their nature.

It has been the habit of trinitarians to forcely fit the scriptures with their beliefs. However, as they force it it also rips apart.

:-)

Update:

Our understanding in 1 Cor 11:3 has no personal assumption. The verse CLEARLY states headship. Granting that Jesus and God have the same nature, Jesus is still under the headship of God. Just like man and woman, they are of the same nature but woman is under the headship of man. So Jehovah and Jesus are distinct and not equal. You are the one trying to force in your "nature analogy" in 1 Cor 11:3. The context shows headship and it is enought to conclude that someone is head of the another. Besides, we believe Jesus is a god, for he also holds a high position. He is also a spirit just as Jehovah God and the angels. So it can be said that by nature they are the same for they are spirit, yet they are not equal. (Read 1 Cor 15:24-28 about Jesus subjecting himself) You can never take that away from 1 Cor 11:3. If you will force you nature analogy, what then is the meaning of God being the head of Jesus? Nothing? That would be absurd!

• X
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

There's no questioning the "chain of command" given by 1 Corinthians 11:3. It absolutely shows that Jesus' place is one of inferiority to his God, Jehovah.

Only a person who pretzel twists the scriptures into pure nonsense would be able to take such crystal clear verses like that one and somehow come away with the garbage that Jesus is equal to his Father.

It's a simple matter of basic reading comprehension. Those who have the poorest possible reading comprehension would still read such a basic verse and twist it to fit their unscriptural belief in Jesus being equal to God.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • The scripture you cited proves that God has authority over Jesus.

Think about that please.

If one has authority over the other, then they cannot be the same.

Just like the man is not the woman (they are both separate personalities)... God is not Jesus.

... that is, they are different personalities than each other

If they were the same, parts of the same, or equal... then one wouldn't have authority over the other.

Hebrews 2:9 simply shows how Jesus gave up his heavenly life temporarily when he became human & gave his perfect human life for us, and then he returned to heaven again.

If you notice, Philipians 2, verse 5 is counselling Christians to be to imitate Christ in the matter being discussed here "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:" (NIV)

So, could Christians be urged to consider it “not robbery,” but their right, “to be equal with God”?

That would be absurd, wouldn't it?

• 9 years ago

'The same is true with the relationship between the Lord Jesus and the Father.'

But 1 Corinthians 11:3 doesn't say that the Father is the head of Christ, but *God* is the head of Christ. The Father isn't mentioned. Cognitive bias makes many Trinitarians see 'Father' where 'God' is printed. It is cognitive bias, and it is also the logical fallacy called equivocation.

How can 'God' be Jesus' head, if Jesus is 'God?'

And the converse of your argument is: If Jesus' head is God, but Jesus is still God, then the wife's head is her husband, but the wife is the husband.

• 9 years ago

“I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.” (Clearly, then, Christ is not God, and God is of superior rank to Christ. It should be noted that this was written about 55 C.E., some 22 years after Jesus returned to heaven. So the truth here stated applies to the relationship between God and Christ in heaven.)

The word is not inferior, but "in-subjection". Jesus was showing that even he needs headship and he respected that authority.

Luke 22:42

“Father, if you wish, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, let, not my will, but yours take place.

In the book of Genesis 2;18

God went on to say: “It is not good for the man to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.”

This does not mean we degrade our wife, we are one flesh as the scriptures point out. Jehovah didn't do that to his son Jesus, neither did Jesus disrespect his father.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

John 13:16--Most truly I say to YOU, A slave is not greater than his master, nor is one that is sent forth greater than the one that sent him.

Matthew 10:40--“He that receives YOU receives me also, and he that receives me receives him also that sent me forth.

John 14:28--YOU heard that I said to YOU, I am going away and I am coming [back] to YOU. If YOU loved me, YOU would rejoice that I am going my way to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am.

Forgive me, but it does appear that Jesus disagrees with you on that statement you just made. The same is not true of the relationship between the Lord Jesus and the Father.

• 9 years ago

(2 Peter 3:16) 16 speaking about these things as he does also in all [his] letters. In them, however, are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unsteady are twisting, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

• 9 years ago

You're referring to what we call the headship arrangement.

I appreciate your question because to understand further on any subject, questions must be asked.

You're correct that a man and woman are equal as far as freedoms go, but the Bible does say that men have authority over their wives.

Just like men have authority over their wives, God has authority over Jesus. The very fact that God and Jesus are mentioned separately here shows that they are two separate beings.

Jesus is subject to God, as you seem to agree with. This means that God has authority over Jesus. (Just like a man has authority over his wife.)

EDIT:

It's interesting that you would argue that he is equal to God. "Equal" in what sense?

Psalm 83:18 says:

"That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth."

Did you notice that it says Jehovah ALONE is the MOST HIGH?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.