? asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Border collie cross alaskan malamute breeder?

Does anyone know of a breeder for malamute crosses, specifically a border collie malamute cross? I've done my research and am pretty set on this combination. Looking for breeders in Ontario Canada, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, or any of the nearby states.

Thanks!

• Rachel

When you cross two breeds like this, you don't get one that is an average of the two. For an individual trait, you could get one that is just like a Malamute, just like a Border Collie, or somewhere in the middle. For example, you could get a dog with the reactivity of a border collie, or the steadier temperament of a Malamute. You could get a dog with the strong desire to please of a border collie, or one that is more into their own agenda like a malamute.

Each established breed of dog has a set of characteristics that works together. When you mix them, you can get a bad combination. What if you get a dog with the dominance and hard headedness of a malamute, and the hair trigger reactivity of a border collie? How about a dog with the super high activity level of a border collie, combined with one that is not interested in being obedient? How about a dog that is same-sex aggressive (found in malamutes) with the sensitive reactivity of a border collie? The aggression that can be found in malamutes should NOT be combined with a breed that has a low threshold to trigger.

• koob

Border Collie Cross

• No such thing as a breeder for that "breed" simply because that is a MUTT and not a breed at all!!!

The only "breeder" you will find that mutt at is a BYB found all over this country these days.. so sad but true.

Why not invest that same money you would spend on a poorly bred mutt on a PURE BRED Border Collie or a PURE BRED Alaskan Malamute?

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Thanks!

Source(s): border collie cross alaskan malamute breeder: https://biturl.im/VOIHZ

I have a Malamute cross Border Collie but I didn't deliberately set out to find this cross breed, I adopted her from the RSPCA and yes she is a mutt but I have to say she is the most gorgeous dog I have ever owned with an amazing temperament and nature.Incredibly intelligent and just an awesome lifetime friend. I think regardless of the breed or cross, training,consistency and routine are vital.Nurture vs Nature! With the amount of dogs available for adoption due to the apathetic nature of human beings why are we still seeking out breeders for the 'ideal' of the perfect breed or cross. Take your responsibility as a dog owner seriously and you'll have a fantastic dog regardless what it is.

• Tamara

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axStP

I do not believe that an Alaskan Malamute is the dog for you. They are not heat tolerant as they came form a colder climate further more though they are a VERY dominant breed. Unless you know about dog behaviour and dog training THIS IS NOT THE DOG FOR YOU. They are breed for heavy freighting hence the are very strong and I doubt very much you will be able to manage a dog like that. Theay need tons of socialisation every day and a very thought through dog training regime. Malamutes are very vocal so left alone in the back yard they will howl and I don't know how your neighbours will tolerate a howling dog all day. Personally I believe from the breeds you mentioned a Lab will be the ideal choice.

• Linda

I can tell you now you cant handle a Border Collie or a Aussie. Mainly because they need around 3 hours a day of extreme exercize, and the rest of the day they need mind-training. They are SMART dogs and need the brain food. They are also very needy and always want attention and love. They can NOT be alone outside for long periods of time, or they will get bored. I dont know about Labs or Malamutes.

No breeder with any respect for the breed(s) they love would intentionally breed mutts.

I cannot imagine why you would even want to cross two breeds that are so different, physically and intellectually. Do you want a really smart sled dog, so it can hitch you to the sled? or a silly sheepdog who'll herd the sheep the way he wants, not the way you do? You do know that a 110-pound sheepdog won't be able to keep up with scared sheep, right? And a 35-pound sled dog can't pull much...

I can't imagine how you could research these mutts if you can't find any.

Just my opinion; it's free country. Do what you want.

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aU5aw

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

I have seen an entire racing sled team that consisted of Border collie x huskies. They were light, fast, and had great endurance. A malamute cross would be a lot heavier bodied, since Mals are heavy drafters. I'd suggest Googling sled racing kennels and see if anyone has any available. It would be interesting to see how the temperament turns out, since BCs live to serve you and huskies and mals are very independent.