is religion just a tool to keep people docile, so that other people on top can actually live the good life?

I mean seriously, should we just forget about completely and grab whatever we can in this life (coz I sure as hell don't know if there is another life)?

Its to give people morality, decency and direction when many lack of it and common sense. Too many fumbling idiots in the world that don't know what is right from wrong.

Religion, be it monotheistic or polytheistic, is a tool for control. But depending on who and how the tool is being used determines whether or not the tool is used for correct purposes.

Religion has no true baring on the good life. That is up to the individual and their needs and or wants. Religion has not dictated to me to have a loving wife, great children and a passion for music. That for me is a great life. Although it would be nice, I don't need the millions and every wish and want fulfilled.

With all that being said, religion in the hands of tyrants in a land full of the meek and ignorant is very dangerous. That's when the all the cookies, crumbs, and the jar of your 'version' of the good life gets stolen without repercussion.

There are some people with good intentions, but at the core religion was invented for power and control of the masses.

Tyrannical kings would probably start to lose control over their kingdom when their subjects started to question their authority, so they claimed to have been "chosen by a higher being". That is why many rulers were also religious leaders.

Thank the Lord I am....

FREE FROM RELIGION.

Religion: n (1). An organised system or institution of belief based upon the traditions of men instead of the pursuit of friendship with God. (2). The act of playing church, exchanging internal truths for external performances, substitute spiritual realities with carnal rituals.

Some religions yes. But that is not evident in religions like Islam, Baha'i, Buddhism, etc.

That may be true. Look at the Vatican. They live exceptionally well, on behalf of the tithes of their people.

Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Possibly that, along with the control factor.

There ya go....you hit the nail on the head with that one!

well done you have worked it out- give yourself a star