Does the initial velocity of an object (being dropped from a certain height) affect the observed acceleration?

We did a lab in my AP Physics class, where we dropped an object next to some measuring device, that could tell how fast the object was dropping and create a graph of position (on the ruler that we dropped) vs. time. The question also asks, "Would throwing the [object] downward, but letting go before it enters... show more We did a lab in my AP Physics class, where we dropped an object next to some measuring device, that could tell how fast the object was dropping and create a graph of position (on the ruler that we dropped) vs. time. The question also asks, "Would throwing the [object] downward, but letting go before it enters the [measuring thing], change the observed acceleration?"