Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 9 years ago

Is it possible for a Republican and a Democrat to be Married ? and does or has it lasted.?

Are you ? or do you know some couples that are in this situation ?

How do they do it ?

Does it come between them ?

I would like your thought's

Thank you.

The problem is they already are.. have been for some time now.. The license is GREED, division their creed to keep all us sheeple in our place of illusion, delusion..

and yes.. most republicans win their spouses over to the conservative side and the former demo usually becomes extremely active in conservatism.

Dear American liberals, leftists, social progressives, socialists, Marxists and Obama supporters, et al:

We have stuck together since the late 1950's for the sake of the kids, but the whole of this latest election process has made me realize that I want a divorce. I know we tolerated each other for many years for the sake of future generations, but sadly, this relationship has clearly run its course.

Our two ideological sides of America cannot and will not ever agree on what is right for us all, so let's just end it on friendly terms. We can smile and chalk it up to irreconcilable differences and go our own way.

Here is a model separation agreement:

--Our two groups can equitably divide up the country by landmass each taking a similar portion. That will be the difficult part, but I am sure our two sides can come to a friendly agreement. After that, it should be relatively easy! Our respective representatives can effortlessly divide other assets since both sides have such distinct and disparate tastes.

--We don't like redistributive taxes so you can keep them.

--You are welcome to the liberal judges and the ACLU.

--Since you hate guns and war, we'll take our firearms, the cops, the NRA and the military.

--We'll take the nasty, smelly oil industry and you can go with wind, solar and bio-diesel.

--You can keep Oprah, Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell. You are, however, responsible for finding a bio-diesel vehicle big enough to move all three of them.

--We'll keep capitalism, greedy corporations, pharmaceutical companies, Wal-Mart and Wall Street.

--You can have your beloved lifelong welfare dwellers, food stamps, homeless, homeboys, hippies, druggies and illegal aliens.

--We'll keep the hot Alaskan hockey moms, greedy CEO's and rednecks.

--We'll keep the Bibles and give you NBC and Hollywood .

--You can make nice with Iran and Palestine and we'll retain the right to invade and hammer places that threaten us.

--You can have the peaceniks and war protesters. When our allies or our way of life are under assault, we'll help provide them security.

--We'll keep our Judeo-Christian values.

--You are welcome to Islam, Scientology, Humanism, political correctness and Shirley McClain. You can also have the U.N. but we will no longer be paying the bill.

--We'll keep the SUV's, pickup trucks and over sized luxury cars. You can take every Subaru station wagon you can find.

--You can give everyone healthcare if you can find any practicing doctors.

--We'll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right.

--We'll keep "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "The National Anthem."

--I'm sure you'll be happy to substitute "Imagine", "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing", "Kum Ba Ya" or "We Are the World".

--We'll practice trickle down economics and you can continue to give trickle up poverty your best shot.

--Since it often so offends you, we'll keep our history, our name and our flag.

Would you agree to this? If so, please pass it along to other like-minded liberal and conservative patriots and if you do not agree, just hit delete. In the spirit of friendly parting, I'll bet you answer which one of us will need whose help in 15 years.

Sincerely,John J. Wall, Law Student and an American

P.S. Also, please take Ted Turner, Sean Penn, Martin Sheen, Barbara Streisand, & Jane Fonda with you.

P.S.S. And you won't have to press 1 for English when you call our country.

Forward This Every Time You Get It ! Let's Keep This Going, Maybe Some Of It Will Start Sinking In.

• renate

You must placed your political plans on maintain till you've got performed a bit of extra considering ethics. I suppose that any political candidacy that calls for mendacity is unethical, immoral and now not valued at assisting (so without doubt I are not able to aid the Democratic or Republican events). While I've bought your awareness - why do libertarians speak approximately the federal government taking our rights away however wish to support organizations do the equal? .

• Rella

Sure. I was raised Democrat and married a Republican. 17 years later, I've changed so that now I'm more conservative than he is.

We never let politics come between us, although I stayed Democrat for many years. He did not convince me to switch, either--I convinced myself when I started to take a hard look at what I believed versus what each party stood for. I changed over the years, as I grew as a person.

Even though now we're both of the same political party, we still have a lot of differences in our views. We respect each other's right to have different opinions, and we call a truce when needed, rather than continuing to try to change the other person's mind.

Funny story: In the last election, I was against voting for a local levy, and my husband was for it. We each convinced the other to switch sides, so that I ended up voting for it while my husband voted against it.

Our votes on that issue canceled each other out, but that's the way the fair voting process goes. We each voted according to our own conscience. We share our opinions with each other, but we also respect each other's right to be different and make our own choices.

As a side note, I've been good friends for over two decades with two people who have different religious and political views than mine. We've told each other where we stand, and we've accepted that we're not going to change the other person's mind, so we just peaceably agree to disagree. They are terrific people and I love them. They enrich my life a lot.

Political standings change from decade to decade. My wife has always been a Repub but switched to a Demo on the last election. Then as soon as the Prez O.K.'ed the building of new Nuke Power plants she switched back and then back again. As for me, I was Repub for 20 years switched to green then back to Rebub and back to green. Now I am never going to switch from the Green Party. So, how has this impacted our marriage? No impact at all. The big reason? I refuse to listen to any of the right wing or left wing extremists. Actually any extremist. If she wants to inform me of someones words it just has to be from a semi neutral newscast or someone not extreme. We never argue. (about politics)

Probably. However, it depends on how much politics enters into the marriage. The best idea for marriage is to marry someone that has the same background, same education level, same religion and same politics. You will just get along better working toward the future together.

Of course it's possible. It just depends on how much the relationship is based on political opinions... which, in my humble opinion, should never be. My boyfriend is more democratic and I'm more republican, and we've discussed our views with each other, and it's no big deal.

• Antst

Of course. I know plenty of people who are married, but who have different political opinions.

Now, that said, I have dumped two boyfriends because of their political views. One felt strongly that single mothers should not get welfare. He used to talk about single mothers a lot. I found this attitude to be very cruel and ignorant, as a lot of women end up having to support kids by themselves because their partner has left them. Also, kids need someone to take care of them, and many mothers can't make enough money at work to pay for daycare. And there are a lot of other people in society who take more than they give (like bankers) and this guy never had a problem with them. The other guy voted for a certain party because that's what his parents and family had always done. He had a lot of prejudices about the party I vote for. He never thought his opinions through. I found his attitude to be ignorant and this made me lose respect for him.

The way to make it work is for both people to respect each other. Some people choose NOT to talk about politics, and avoid problems that way. That may work for you, but I personally think it would be weird to be with someone and not talk about politics sometimes. It's such an important part of life. My parents have different political views. They argue about politics, but they ALWAYS keep things impersonal. In other words, they talk about specific issues--they never say anything insulting about "liberals" or "conservatives".

For example, my mother might say, "I don't think that Sarah Palin knows enough to run the country. She can't have a conversation about how to make things better because she knows so little". Whereas my dad might say, "but she doesn't have to know a lot. As the leader, she just has to be charismatic. People like her." Then they debate the issue some more. They might disagree on certain things, but they do it without insulting each other. They "agree to disagree" if things get too heated. Then they end the conversation and talk about something else.

If you want to find out more about how to have a respectful disagreement or discussion, you should go to your local bookstore and ask the assistant to find books on debating techniques. It doesn't have to be stressful; it can be fun and sometimes people even end up changing their minds! Good luck.

Indeed, it is.

Look at Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver (who's a Democrat with Kennedy ties).

who cares

yes it is