ATI 5870; 4GB or 8GB of RAM for increasing performance/FPS?

I'm about to purchase a gaming desktop with the ATI HD5870 Sapphire Overclocked Video Card, I was wondering if getting 8GB of RAM instead of getting 4GB clocked at DDR3-2000 would be worth it for increasing performance and fps or if its not even necessary. Im only using this PC to game. Also give me any tips and insight of the computer parts whether or not it will be good for gaming or anything else youd like to thow in. Heres my specs:

Processor ( [== Six Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU )

Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-2000 Memory Module )

Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB - Sapphire Vapor-X Overclocked - Single Card )

Motherboard ( [CrossFire] ASUS M4A79XTD EVO -- AMD 790X w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 )

Power Supply ( 800 Watt -- Standard )

Primary Hard Drive ( 640 GB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

Sound Card ( Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE )

Network Card ( Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card )

Thanks Guys!

Update:

What do you mean getting another HDD and doing raid rather than 8 GB of ram? Thanks for your insight guys!

Update 2:

Okay, It has that option Raid 0 High Performance, but that wont boost game performance/FPS, just faster loading times for windows and games correct? In that case, it would be pointless for me cause my system would already be fast right? I'm also thinking of upgrading to 8GB 1800 Memory speed. Keep the insight coming guys, I really appriciate your comments!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best answer

i have a laptop with 6 gigs and a 5870 and i rarely use over 4 gigs (like gaming with other apps open) so i dont think you will see a huge difference in FPS. for performance, maybe think about getting another HDD and doing raid rather then 8 gigs of ram? good setup tho

well, most of the time, even when gaming you will not use all your ram so its a wast of money (not that there arent users that wont use 8 gigs but most never will). so, if you add a raid array (raid 0 to be specific) you will increase your performance by splitting up your OS to run from 2 separate drives thus shorting write and seek times. but there are some down sides, for example if one drive fails they both fail and creating a back up is somewhat of a challenge. if you dont know what raid is just google 'raid 0'.

to your comment about raid not helping in games- does your computer do anything else while you are playing a game? like, IDK keep your OS running? got a virus scan? a second HDD helps with system processes even if it doesn't specifically affect one application. its like having a 6 core cpu. your game wont use all six cores (at least im not aware of one capable, but im sure its coming!) but other processes will use other cores thus giving you an overall higher FPS. plus out side of gaming a raid 0 with a 64 bit os is pretty f-ing sweet and really a pleasure to run.

plus you can always add more ram...why not start with 4, or if you really think you will 8 (video editing mb?) then get 8. i was just throwing out a different suggestion. BTW, what OS are running? 64 bit right?

• cheri
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

examine the working device and be certain that's a sixty 4 Bit OS. no remember if that's in simple terms a 32 Bit OS the 4GB is the optimal volume of RAM that device can cope with. no remember if that's sixty 4 Bit then definite, 8GB will help overall performance.

• dik b
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

RAID or getting an SSD would only really have much effect during loading times. 4GB RAM is optimal as very few games seem to go beyond this level at this time. You really have nowhere to go. Nice problem to have.

BTW the Radeon 6000 series cards are due to be announced in the very near future. Get one and you should get those precious extra FPS.

Good luck.

Source(s): 10+ years building systems.
  • 9 years ago

4gb is plenty for now. most games will not use all the ram in your system (probably 3 or 3.5gigs to the max) but if you want to be future proofed 8gb is better for later

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.