What age does a dog become protective?

My husband and I have an American Bulldog. He's 7 months old and neutered. Excellent dog...great with our 3 years old. The community we live in is having problems with drug use which is resulting in burglaries. We have always heard AB's make wonderful companions and are good protectors. At what age does an... show more My husband and I have an American Bulldog. He's 7 months old and neutered. Excellent dog...great with our 3 years old. The community we live in is having problems with drug use which is resulting in burglaries. We have always heard AB's make wonderful companions and are good protectors. At what age does an AB begin to alert us by barking or protecting his property against strangers?? So far he just LOVES everyone. Thanks.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not...but we've had him since he was 8 weeks old
Update: Erica....maybe someone should report you for being annoying.
Update 2: Thanks Chelly. That's what we're hoping for. We just hope he will bark and that will be a deterrent.