Brad asked in Dining OutFast Food · 10 years ago

What type of grill does mcdonalds have?

i have a research assignment for school and need to know what grill mcdonalds have and if there are any cleaning procedures for them?? some please help me

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favourite answer

Mcdonalds uses Taylor or Garland brand grills. The grill is unique because of it's two sided cooking mechanism known as the clam. The clam is a 425 degree surface which has Teflon on 3 sides to help prevent carbon build up. The lower cook surface is 375 degrees and requires the most maintenance. Cleaning procedures are as follows.

Between each run of meat or vegetables a crew person will

use a scraper which looks somewhat like the devils back scratcher and scrapes any carbon or food residue off the surface of the grill and pushes it into the back section of the grill. The crew person then wipes the Teflon on each platen with a squeegee and then pushes oil and build up left over from the scrape into the grease traps on the sides of the grill.

At a minimum of 4 times per hour the grill is steamed. Which

silly means the above task is performed and then the additional steps described below take place. A wet grill towel is placed on the cook surface and extremely hot water is poured over the towel. The crew person then uses the scraper to push the towel around on the grill and soak up any carbon build up and oil.

Every night at close the grill is cleaned thoroughly. The

surface is scraped and squeegeed. Then the grease traps are emptied into a special container specifically for grease and oil so that it can be disposed of safely. The Teflon is removed and washed then sanitized in a 3 compartment sink. The grill closer now puts the grill in clean mode which reduces the temperature of the grill to a safe level. Then Kay high temp grill cleaner is applied to the surface and spread around with a non scratch scrub pad. The solution is allowed

to cook on the surface of the grill and platens as it eats the carbon and grease. A towel is then placed on the surface of the grill and an employee pours water on the surface. After the cleaning residue is removed with water the grill is shut off. Pulled from the wall. And all surfaces are wiped down with towels and aided with degreaser. The floors are mopped behind the grill and it is then returned to the its position. The hood vents are also washed but they aren't part of the grill..

Its an exhaust system to prevent smoke from filling the kitchen.

Other tasks are preformed from time to time which include cleaning the wheels and cleaning the stacks, but those are

usually cleaned by a professional as it involves getting on the roof with a pressure driven steam cleaner.

Once a year or before clam maintenance the grill goes through carbon recovery, which is where each platen is allowed to rest in a pool of undiluted degreaser solution.

Now for the chemicals.

We use Kay high temp grill cleaner. This is a yellow chemical base. Very dangerous to humans, you should not touch or taste it. Ever. According to MSDS the chemical can cause blindness or severe skin irritation, and if ingested can cause massive internal bleeding. However it is very effective. In the event that the restaurant runs out of grill cleaner solution they may use pickle juice or lemonade as long as the grill is rinsed a few extra times. Nobody wants eggs that taste like pickles.

We also use Kay degreaser which isn't too dissimilar to winded, except it uses more ammonia. Degreaser is NEVER used on the surface of the grill as it is poisonous.

Sanatizer solution is sprayed on non food contact surfaces to safely rid the area of germs.

Source(s): Mcdonalds management
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Trust me mate I'm what they call a "crew member" at Mcdonalds (yes it's the lowest rank but hey it's only part time, I hope.)

Pretty much they/we use the same grill for both quarters and regular meat (the meat on big macs and cheese burgers). This is a pressure cooker that uses a lower plated covered with teflon do store heat. It then lowers onto the meat with a lot of pressure and cooks the meat for 90 seconds, so I'm guessing it's pretty damn hot!

All Mcdonalds stores are designed the same so the equipment is the same for both company owned and franchise.

So I'm getting a bit off track.

Cleaning the grills is done twice daily where I work, once on the change over from breakfast to lunch menu and once on the close (*unless it's a 24 hours Mcdonalds), we always use this company called KAY for our cleaning products. It's a yellow really strong bleach which is scrubbed all over the heating plates of the grill, it's industrial stuff so it's really strong, smells bad and it tastes even worse if you somehow get it in your mouth.

Don't go to your nearest mcdonalds, they won't let you in, we can't even take phones to work due to security procedures. however if you want more information just say.

Source(s): I've been working there for 3-4 months now. #382 Branch-Oakenshaw. :)
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Steam Grill Cleaner

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I don't know what kind of grill they have, but yes there are cleaning procedures. The cooking utensils have to be washed every 4 hours, the grills must be scraped, and they are cleaned at changeover times.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • tessie
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Hamburger Helper is frequently $2.50 so for 2 packing boxes this is $5.00 plus in spite of else is eaten. purchase pasta you will get a container for under a dollar, i'm not sure of the form in spite of the fact that that's in a dismal green container. 2 packing boxes could definately be adequate for 7 human beings so which you're observing approximately $a million.75 after which you nevertheless have yet another $3.75 to spend on an ingredient dish---possibly a bag of potatos for baked or mashed potatos, some thing diverse yet nevertheless decrease priced. Me and my fiance are looking pasta a stable option from the speedy nutrition, in spite of if that's the dollar menu for 7 people who keeps to be atleast $10 at the cheap end.

• Standard

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.healthboostpc.com

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

• 10 years ago

I heard that for most of their burgers they use the microwave to cook the meat, so even if they did, they don't use it very often.

• 10 years ago

Please visit a MACDONALDS restaurant and then you may survey or you may ask the manager of the MACDONALDS about your questions....

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.