Are you curious to know what and where, are the top 10 places to view nature located?

Northland's renowned Poor Knights Islands had been declared one of the world's top 10 places to see nature at its finest.

England's Guardian newspaper reported Emmy Award-winning director and producer of wildlife documentaries, Nick Stringer, had included the Poor Knights in the Bay of Islands on his list of the world's 10 best places to see nature.

The Poor Knights was listed in ninth place.

Mr Stringer said he was in the Bay of Islands for only a few days but it was a memorable visit and included "killer whales, dolphins and the Tolkien-esque landscape, but mostly the diving at Poor Knights Island.

"Its volcanic origins have created precipitous cliffs, spectacular drop offs, caves, arches and tunnels, while the converging water currents have resulted in a unique biodiversity.

"Subtropical and temperate marine life coexist with more than 125 species of fish, soft corals, vibrant anemones, ecklonia kelp forests and mating sting rays, to name a few."

He said it was not hard to see why (French undersea explorer) Jacques Cousteau rated it one of the top 10 dive sites in the world.

Its distance from the coast made it slightly tricky to get to but it was a journey well worth making, he said.

His list of the world's top 10 places to get the best of nature was:

1. Kalahari Desert, Namibia for big cats and meerkats

2. The Danum Valley, Borneo for orangutans and gibbons

3. Shark Bay, Western Australia, for wild dolphins and dugongs (a large rare marine mammal)

4. Yellowstone National Park, for grizzly bears, moose and wolves

5. Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda, for tree-climbing lions, elephants and hippos

6. West coast of Scotland for bird watching

7. Al Hajar Mountains, Oman, for mountain life and endemic species

8. Canaima National Park, Venezuela, for the adventurous

9. Bay of Islands, New Zealand, for divers

10. South Downs, England for appreciating wildlife in your back garden

His list followed a declaration by the National Geographic Traveler that the Tutukaka Coast, also in Northland, was one of the top three coastlines in the world.

It was named equal second best with the Pembrokeshire coast in Wales, behind the top coastline, the remote and austere Avalon coast of Canada's Newfoundland.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/new-zealand/4314021/...

lol Nick I am not stoned, if that's what you're saying :P

Excellent.

The Pembrokeshire coastline is special and Barafundle Bay was voted one of the best in the world

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-stackpole

http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/

I am so glad that Yellowstone made the list. It really is a fascinating place. There are many parks in the U.S. that are wonderful to visit. :)

Thank you. Now I know where to go for nature. Anybody have a freebee to NZ?

You pull some great facts as always

• Mrs H

Nice : )

I can drive to Yellowstone so I can get there,lol

You look a little too nature-ified

New York City....oh wait...I think I am confusing this question with your "most annoying animals" question....

I cant believe Canada and US arent there.

cool thanks : )