Thinking of getting a pet rat...?

I'm thinking of getting a pair of dumbo rats within the next few weeks. I'm trying to research all I can before getting them, so I want to know a few things... I hear males are more cuddly while females are more playful? I think I'd rather males, but I'm wondering if I would have to get them... show more I'm thinking of getting a pair of dumbo rats within the next few weeks. I'm trying to research all I can before getting them, so I want to know a few things...

I hear males are more cuddly while females are more playful? I think I'd rather males, but I'm wondering if I would have to get them neutered, would it be a problem if I didn't? Also, would two males eventually fight if I got them together? I've had a pet male hamster kill the other male when I was young, so I don't want anything like that happening.

Would they be safe around my 2 year old daughter? She loved them in the store and she's very gentle with animals. Obviously I wouldn't leave them together unattended.

Do they eat once a day or can you feed them 2 small meals a day? Snacks everyday?

And lastly would it be alright to get them from Petsmart? I've looked on craigslist and petfinder, but found none. I know the obvious signs for illness to look out for, but is it generally ok to buy pet rats from petsmart?

Thanks in advance.
Update: Good info here, thanks everyone!