Am I racist Against Blacks or Whites?

My mother because I tan (sometimes) thinks I'm trying to hide the fact I'm half white. Which I don't I just like to have a pretty tan I want to be not to light but not dark besides that I love the fact I'm half, She also doesn't like the fact that I say I'm black with rare occasions of biracial basically only for govt questions. she says I should say biracial but my husband gets mad at me for putting down biracial because for 1. he says biracial is not a race what are you mixed with? 2. He don't want people to think our money was reared by white people, He wants everyone to know here is a black couple that drives nice cars and make good money. He has that mind thinking of wanting to be set apart from stereotypes. My husband feels as If I'm racist against blacks he doesn't want me commenting on blacks hair (basically if I don't have the struggles with it I can't comment on it) or says I can barely say the N word. He barely even likes walking around stores with our daughter without me because he doesn't want people to think his daughter's mother is white (ie she looks more mixed than I) but I'm the racist one.

I do say mean stereotypes against blacks only when I'm mad vice versa for white people.

At the same time I defend both blacks and whites when the other talks about the other.

All my friends are black with association to some white people.

Your opinions?

@ Athiest - I agree with your whole statement besides the last part. I know that I am apart of the stereotypes ie the reason why I tell people I'm 100% black at times because of the fact that people don't give much credit to black people well I let white people see first hand that black people do go to school work extra jobs and are law abiding citizens and no matter what white people may think of me yes in my mind I do feel like talk all you want I kow I look better I know I have a lot going for myself. So in other words my people gave me my attitude I wouldn't be the way I am if people weren't the way they are.

@ NM - Thanks that's what I've been trying to get at. And now looking at it I guess I do play both sides of the fence but is that a wrong thing?

• Mica

I think your mom and your husband need to leave you alone. If you decide to call yourself biracial, it is your right and it is the truth. You are not black or white, you're both plain and simple.

I hate how ppl try to make mixed folks chose sides. I feel if a person is not biracial they need to sthu and let biracials make their own decision. As for the black hair comments, you really don't understand what black women go through. Your hair is different from ours, so I can see how some black ppl will have a problem with you voicing your opinion.

But you can't please everyone, just stay true to yourself and let others deal with it.

Source(s): mother of a biracial child.

LOL. You do seem hung up on the biracial thing. Nothing wrong with being biracial but I'm a realist. How do you think the world sees you? I can't really blame your husband for wanting to break the stereotypes. I try to defend both races as well. Nothing wrong with being white or black. I just hate all 'extreme' racists in general. Everyone has the capability to be a 'subtle' racist I believe. Since we can't change and become a different race and see what it feels like. I believe you might be subconsciously racist just like how everybody else is.

No. You're not racist. You are just seeing things for what they are. No offense to anyone, but they became stereotypes for a reason. There is nothing wrong with being mixed or biracial or whatever you want call it. There is also nothing wrong with being proud of it. Your husband sound more like a racist than you are. And this whole you can't be a racist unless you have the ability to keep people down is crap. A racist is anyone who dislike a whole group of people because of something they cannot help. Keep doing you thing girl.

• Rose

A racist is someone that hates a whole groups of people simply because of something that they were born with.... from what you're saying it doesnt sound like you're racist. It sounds more like your husband is the racist because he is so set on people knowing that he's black and YOU'RE black and you have a good paying job and are good people despite stereotypes... i face this everyday and do you know what i do? i ignore those ignorant ***** because i am not defined by the colour of skin i am me and theres nothing anybody can say thats going to make me feel crap for being me! just because some black people decide to go down the wrong path it doesnt mean we're ALL that way... and the fact that he doesnt want to walk around with your daughter because she's lighter than you is terrible. you should break away from these people because they;re the poison that make this world a bad place to live

No youre not and these blacks have a chip on their shoulder because they probably look like lil wayne or precious and wish they looked like beyonce or reggie bush.

You have every right to identify as biracial and tan if you feel so. And sorry but your husband is a hypocrite. He can't expect you to JUST be black but not comment on black issues.

again you're not racist and I've seen you defend both races. these folks just need to hop off your clit and get some fresh air instead of watching maury and 106 and park claiming the white man is holding them down.

I think your whole family has a tolerance problem. We are all who we are. The whole "Ethnicity" bit disgusts me. I have had problems for years with people who didn't like me putting "Human" in the block on their form which asked what race. I married a lady who is not of the same race and adopted her two sons, by a previous marriage. We have a daughter together who told me she didn't even realize, until a friend in high school pointed it out, that her brothers were my genetic sons.

Source(s): Tolerance and acceptance are not just words.

I'm gonna be straight with you, as I have seen your commentary up here and you appear to have no clones to blame aberrant behavior on. You seem real stuck on your status as a "bi-racial" and seem to think that you are somehow above "regular" black people. You also seem to have a pretty conceited and arrogant attitude based on your "bi-racial" traits that you feel separate you from the rest of us. Here is a kind PSA: White folk look at you the same as they look at a black person the color of mocha with woolly hair. You aren't spared from their stereotypes and their scrutiny. Only in your own mind is it so. In other words, get real and get over yourself.

• NM

How are you going to try to deny your other half..honestly to me it sounds like your trying to play both sides of the fence...only saying your black when it's convenient for you or only saying your white when it's convenient for you when in reality when it comes down to it you are both. I'm not sure, but I think your husband failed to realize that you're half white. For him to be thinking that way and be afraid to walk around with his daughter is really upsetting and embarrassing. It kind of sounds a bit immature too. It doesn't make sense to me, how are you embarrassed to walk around with your daughter because she has a mixed appearance when the mother herself if half white?

You have problems and you are stuck on yourself. You are not in my opinion a hot biracial. My girlfriend is but you are not. Am with Atheist on that.

Blacks