I have been amazed at angry answers to quest.ions of why Young Earth Creationist Christians don't address.....?

.....the questions about the scientific evidence for their views. Why is there anger and accusations that the purpose is "destroying God" and "destroying someone's faith"? (After all, I was once a Young Earth Creationist Christian and even though I believe that the earth is very old, that has done nothing to detract from my strong faith in Jesus Christ and the Bible.)

So why the anger and defensiveness? Isn't truth worth affirming (whatever you believe it to be)?

================================================

How could an issue like the age of the earth "destroy God"? And seeing how there are millions of Christians on both sides of such age of the earth issues, how could simply dealing with the question destroy anyone's faith? Sometimes I get the impression that the emotional reactions to such issues imply that someone's faith is actually very weak and they are afraid. Am I wrong? Agree? Disagree?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • C V
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favourite answer

There are many fundamentalists who believe that if any part of the Bible is proved false, it becomes unreliable. Most Christians (and people of other faiths in regards to their own sacred texts) have come to realize a myth about the Sun standing still in the sky, or about a man fitting two of every living species on a boat is not credible, but that doesn't take away from the Bible's teachings about love, and the condition of being human.

Source(s): atheist
  • 10 years ago

Wait a minute you are far too logical - which has nothing to do with religious teachings. Recall not everyone believes like you do - that's why a lot of Chrisitians believe the world is only 5000 years old. Remember people used to think the earth was flat and the world was the center of the universe - however they were burned at the stake for blasphemy - sorry history predates your logic.

• Daniel
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I'd guess that most people who believe the Earth is only 6000 years old don't have much respect for evidence or debate. Or, they may be young and simply do not have enough knowledge about the world to make judgments. Statistically, you're going to run up against a lot of anti-intellectualism when you debate them compared to the general population.

• 10 years ago

***How could an issue like the age of the earth "destroy God"? ***

Because the supposed word of this god says the earth was made a few thousand years ago. Scientific evidence plainly indicates that this is absurdly false. So, if this "word of god" is false, why should any part of it be considered real?

It shouldn't.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

There obviously were no deaths until Adam brought sin and death into the world. If God could create an adult man, why couldn't He create a mature universe and earth?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Your mock outrage offends me for sure.

If you see a huge blood belching dragon your way to you sit down and say 'Wow, bet that's dangerous, and bet a person should get out of its way...Wow"

In other words, you see clearly what is the case whether you approve it or not so act accordingly.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I didn't reply with anger...

Anyways, the real problem with calculating the age of the earth is that we cannot know the exact age of the earth.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Anger is intended to misdirect us from the fact that they have no answer.

• 10 years ago

Pssst. Let me tell you a secret, ok. It's because there is no evidence to back up creationism.

• 10 years ago

I am a YEC. I also love truth. This is why I am a YEC.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.