Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 10 years ago

what tropical fish can live alon besides a betta?

• Dan M

Male bettas live alone because they want a safe predator free place to raise their young. A female stops by only long enough to leave a family for the male to raise alone. Other tropical fish with this same life style are good choices to be kept as solitary fish. When the females never show, it's probably a little depressing, but they just keep up appearances and work harder to make their spot attractive.

Many male cichlids and sunfish can live alone. They claim a territory and then defend it from all comers, except the females who stop by if a male has claimed a nicely impressive territory. Many gouramis and combtails have similar life styles and the males pick a solitary place to call home and wait for the females to stop by. Like the male betta, some of these produce elaborate bubble nests to be ready and waiting for those females to use if sufficiently impressive.

In saltwater, marine bettas and other groupers, stonefish, lionfish, and moray eels are good choices as solitary fish.

• catx

Totally misread the question.

There are few solitary fish really, but there are some. The majority of which though have much larger tank requirements than a Betta, Snakeheads and large territorial Cichlids like Oscars and Green Terrors, for example.

Other fish, like Gouramis, do well in male/female pairs or male/several female groups. But two males will fight, much like the Betta.

Hi I have herd about ur problem and I would like to help I have a Betta and he lives by himself and my friend has a 30 liter tank she only likes to have one fish at a time I recommend a discus or a cichlid but if later on you would like to get more fish than a cichlid is not a good choice because he only lives with his own breed but you could get others as Long as they are both cichlid but if you have one of the smaller tank than be sore to get a ram of some sort or maybe a dwarf because they only get the size of about 5cm long and one other thing I could recommend for bigger tanks try a red scat, pufferfish, silver scat, rainbow peacock or angle fish they all get about 10cm to 20 cm long I hope this helps good luck

Most fish are actually meant to live in pairs, harems, colonies, or schools, and very few of them are actually loners like the betta. The red tail shark and many types of plecos are good solitary fish, and gouramis do fine alone as do many types of new world cichlid, although both these fish types shine brighter in pairs.

Many non-shoaling fish may live alone as long as they have a stimulating interesting home and regular interaction with their keeper. The potential to be bored with life is there though so I would always want to keep other tankmates.

Source(s): My own thoughts and experience

Most of them. Avoid small, frail fish, as well as fish that have elaborate fins or are similar in size and shape to a betta. Make sure you're meeting the tropical fishs' requirements, as they have more than bettas

I keep mine with platys and hes ok

there are a number of tropical fish compatible with betta eg,bala shark,molly,glass catfish,glofish,corydoras,rainbow shark,pearl gourami,platy,three spotted gourami,upsidedown catfish,red tailed shark,zebra danio and swordtails

hope ive helped