Update:

Sorry the word in the title is meant to be cocked*

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best answer

Depends on what gun you are shooting.

Single Action Revolver: keep finger off trigger while pulling the hammer back until it locks in place. Pull trigger to fire the gun.

Double Action Revolver: Same as the above. Additionally, one can simply pull the trigger and the hammer will be pushed back by the mechanism and then tripped by the trigger.

Semi Auto Pistol: There are different types of semi auto guns. Pulling the slide (upper part of the handgun) to the rear and then letting it go forward will leave the trigger in the c0cked position. Some semi auto guns have a double action feature; pulling the slide to the rear c0cks the gun but the hammer will not be locked to the rear - the gun will still fire when the trigger is pulled. Some semi auto guns are striker fired, meaning there is no hammer to c0ck, pulling the slide simply sets the firing pin up to be released by the trigger.

Rifles: These come as bolt action, lever action, and semi auto. Bringing a bolt handle up and then to the rear and then forward again on a bolt action rifle will c0ck the action, there is no hammer. Pulling the lever down and then back up will c0ck the lever action rifle - these rifles do have hammers. Semi auto rifles usually have a c0cking handle on the side of the receiver, pulling it to the rear and letting go forward will c0ck this action.

shotguns: These are available as double barrel, over/under, pump, and semi auto. both the double barrel and the over/under shotgun is c0cked by opening the action and closing it again. A pump shotgun (and pump action rifles) use the fore stock (the wood or plastic grip under the barrel) as a grip that moves backwards and than forwards to c0ck the action. The semi auto shotgun works like the semi auto rifle.

That help?

• 3 years ago

Cork Gun

• 9 years ago

You can ****, load, chamber, rack, or charge a gun (all pretty much refering to the same thing), but you don't cork it.

Source(s): I own guns
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

You cork a bottle; you **** a gun - OK.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • izzy1
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

One cocks a weapon.

One corks a bottle of wine.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, a legitimate and innocent word in the gun world has crossed paths with a "potty word" and some alter the spelling on occasion to prevent getting automatically censored. I could understand how this is often confusing to other countries. Please forgive us in NSW.

• 9 years ago

you **** the gun

• David
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Since it is me hunting I **** my gun, but it if it is baby elmer fud, it is cork his gun to shoot bugs bunny.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.