~Charity~ asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Dog breed info. How do you know what breed is right for you?

How do you decide what breed of dog is right for your home?

My preferences:

-Loyal to a family not a one-man dog

-friendly/social with people and other dogs

-quiet..most of the time. I don't mind a warning bark that someone is at the door but I can't stand a dog that barks for 10 mins after someone comes in the door!

-active but not maybe not hyper

-smart dog that is easier to train

-protective would be nice...but not needed.

-short hair preferred or low shed.

Any suggestions?

I want a low shed dog because I am allergic to the hair/dander..? Also the protective instinct isn't a must.

• Dana M

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/

Check out the breeds from the above website. Click what's good about em, what's bad about them and read about the breed you are interested in. Much of what you want is a product of proper training and socialization. (Barking) In addition to the above temperament qualities on the web site getting a older dog should give you a much calmer one. 5 or older. And no it isn't true that an older dog cannot be trained as well as a pup. Avoid dogs that are overly timid or aggressive. Adult dogs are easier to determine the activity, focus, responsiveness levels. If you want a dog to be friendly and social, how could it also be protective? Also, dogs with short hair shed just as much as a long haired dog, the hair is shorter in length. The dogs that are low shedding tend to be poodles and terriers, both of which are highly active, one bred for hunting, the other for killing vermin. The dog that fits your description best would be an older greyhound, or a golden retriever.

After reading your list the first breed that came to my mind is a Golden Retriever. They are very loyal, love just about everyone, are very friendly and are not hyper as far as I'm concerned. However, they do shed a lot, so they might not be the best dog for you. Some of your preferences don't point to one specific breed though; being friendly, barking a lot, and being easy to train depend on the dog him/herself. Some dogs are easy to train while others are just plain stubborn. If you want a friendly and quiet dog, that's something you'd have to train your dog to do. For training questions I suggest you ask a trainer personally, they'll be able to help. Shedding can be controlled if you get a special brush. It goes beneath the outer coat to the bottom one that causes all the shedding. I think it's called a de-shedder, and you can pretty much get them anywhere. That would help. If you don't mind size I think a Golden Retriever would be great for you. Good luck!

Definitely not a Golden Retriever like the other person suggested. They have no protective instinct (they are very sociable), and still shed a lot even after using an undercoat rake, which should not be overused, because it can be damaging. Daily brushing is needed to minimize shedding, but it will never be close to low. They also have a distinct doggy odor. I bathe every two weeks and spritz on freshening spray almost everyday, but it still isn't completely masked. My Golden is lovely around kids & other animals, and is always eager to learn, but does not really sound like the dog for you, unless you are willing to vacuum more often. I've found that Labs, while short haired seem to shed even more.

I would suggest a Poodle; they are friendly & active (they like to swim like retrievers) dogs. They are also single coated, so they shed minimally, although you should take trips to a professional groomer for clips until you've mastered shears yourself. They are intelligent, and should be easier to train than some other dogs as long as you are firm, consistent, and provide positive reinforcement. Training classes still may be necessary, and I encourage attending them, to provide your dog with socialization and a training session with distractions. They are available in three sizes: Toy, Miniature, and Standard (#1 on Stanley Coren's list). The standard size (medium-ish) sounds right for you.

If you want a dog just for protection, the only guaranteed (and right) option would be to spend lots of money (in the ten thousands) on a properly trained one. Some dogs may defend their owners when necessary, some may flee.

EDIT: With allergies, you really need to get tested by an allergy specialist. All dog with hair have hair, and all dogs have dander. Even in lower amounts (like a Poodle), these factors may still trigger your allergies, which sometimes take awhile to appear.

Pick some breeds you think you might like and then do lots of research. You cannot base your choice on color or appearance or a movie you saw. Socialization of the dog is your responsibility. It is taught, does not occur naturally and is a must for responsible dog ownership as is at least basic obedience types of behavior. Barking, same thing - a matter of training but then there are what I call the little yappers like Poms, Chi's, Paps, etc. Most dogs are pretty easy to train with the exception of some of the toy breeds or specialized, unusual breeds. Things like activity level and hair length is a personal preference that you can make during selection process.

Other important things are housing, yard, acreage, exercise level, cost for care and medical, your life style and living space, age of family members, etc.

So based on your preferences, I would immediately rule out toy breeds. They were bred as companion dogs and typically pick one person to bond with, they are also typically borderline hyper and often yappy.

I would rule out terriers as they just don't fit most of your needs.

It sounds like you are looking for a working breed. Many working and some herding breeds are naturally protective of their family, but can still be socialized to like all people and animals. They also tend to be intelligent and easy to train.

Here are some breeds I would suggest you research:

Boxer

Great Dane

Mastiff

Rottweiler

Doberman Pinscher

If you're willing to sacrifice the protective trait, you can also look at these breeds:

Labrador Retriever

German Shorthaired Pointer

Standard Poodle

Hi, I'm also a dog lover and have always wondered how to have a well trained dog, by asking around I came about the Dog Training Academy Course and I was amazed at the results, it is a very simple and straight forward cours and I was able to train my dog in a matter of weeks, I suggest you check it out.

Well, here in Australia the RSPCA (Our national animal shelter group) has a test you can do online giving you details on what breed would suit you best. And going by the factors above you could easily research some breeds and visit a few shelters and talk to them about how to find the right dog for you.

Good luck and I hope you can find the perfect 4 legged companion :)

If your dog is doing things you don't like, even destructive behavior, it can usually be helped in most dogs. Best to start at soonest sign of trouble (or before!) with a reputable program. I have had many dogs all ages sizes etc over years and just used what worked best for the first one and then all the rest had to follow! :-)

Good luck, and remember, patience works better with dogs than people. ;-)

Hey I see you need some sort of guide that will give you tips and tricks to help your dog become fully trained and more healthy.Recently one of my friends really needed some advice on how to train his dog,he followed the dog training academy course to successfully have a full trained dog in a few weeks.

How do I know what right breed of the dog is for me. well.. labrador retriever, because she is a guide dog, labradors and golden retriever has awsome temperament that suitable for a guide dog, very trainable, I don't mind to groom her every day.

do your homework more, we can't chose what breed is right for you, but terriers are less of shedding, but you need take it to obedience training and exercise it alot if you don't want it to be hyper