Filth
Lv 5
Filth asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Curious question why is Auschwitz more well known then other Nazi concentration camps?

I'm guessing the Nazi's would have had many Concentration camps but why is Auschwitz the most well known of the Nazi Death Camps I was thinking it was because of the Infamous Angel of Death (Josef Mengele) but I'm unsure

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best answer

as people have said More people died there

But Auschwitz has a more sinister History in WW2

Before the War the early days of Auschwitz it was the Home of the Polish Calvary where there were Barracks an Infirmary and a Fire fighting water tank that was converted to a swimming pool

and Standard Oils Subsidiary decided to set up a Petrochemical plant at Buna Near Poland's Biggest coal deposits produce to Synthetic Fuel Oil and Rubber and use the camp at Auschwitz to house the workers

full operation of the Factory complex used over 80,000 people

then the SS saw a way of using Slave Labour and extended the Camp

Auschwitz had about 49 sub camps

and the Original ovens were used to dispose of the Bodies which was Perfected At Auschwitz

One of the By Products of the Factory was Gas which was In abundance as the Factory ran 24/7 365

and when the Final solution was enacted in 1941 the Murders increased In fact in the summer of 1943 the Nazis murdered 100,000 German Jews and 400,000 polish Jews this was according to the Camp Commandant Rudolf Hoss

Angel of Death (Josef Mengele) was said to have used the Hospital Facilities to experiment on children especially Twins and Gypsies

Mengele escape to South America Via the Odessa ( rat Line ) with the Help of the American Army and the vatican this was to save NAZI scientists who the USA wanted Like Von Braun who continued their work in the USA

It Must be Noted as Historic Fact that

I G Farben was owned By standard Oil and Standard oil of New Jersey was Owned by the Rockefeller's and Prescott Bush up to 1945/46

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Auschwitz was the largest of the Nazi's five death camps , 1.1 million people were murdered, mostly Jews. Auschwitz has become a symbol of death, the Holocaust, and the destruction of European Jewry.

On April 27, 1940, Heinrich Himmler ordered the construction of a new camp near Oswiecim, Poland (about 37 miles or 60 km west of Krakow). The Auschwitz Concentration Camp ("Auschwitz" is the German spelling of "Oswiecim") quickly became the largest Nazi concentration and death camp. By the time of its liberation, Auschwitz had grown to include three large camps and 45 sub-camps.

Auschwitz I (or "the Main Camp") was the original camp. This camp housed prisoners, was the location of medical experiments, and the site of Block 11 (a place of severe torture) and the Black Wall (a place of execution). At the entrance of Auschwitz I stood the infamous sign that stated "Arbeit Macht Frei" ("work makes one free"). Auschwitz I also housed the Nazi staff that ran the entire camp complex.

Auschwitz II (or "Birkenau") was completed in early 1942. Birkenau was built approximately 1.9 miles (3 km) away from Auschwitz I and was the real killing center of the Auschwitz death camp. It was in Birkenau where the dreaded selections were carried out on the ramp and where the sophisticated and camouflaged gas chambers laid in waiting. Birkenau, much larger than Auschwitz I, housed the most prisoners and included areas for women and Gypsies.

Auschwitz III (or "Buna-Monowitz") was built last as "housing" for the forced laborers at the Buna synthetic rubber factory in Monowitz. The 45 other sub-camps also housed prisoners that were used for forced labor.

• 9 years ago

It was the largest concentration camp (later to become an extermination camp) also responsible for the most deaths, 90% Jewish (Many tend to forget the Romani's and POWs etc. who were also killed - because so many were also Jewish it is repeatedly mentioned amongst Israeli's). It is also infamous for human experimentation carried out by the likes of Josef Mengele, as you said.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because that was the main Death camp where most of the Jews were killed. It wasn't really a concentration camp. And after a while the ''able bodied'' Jews would be shipped off to a work camp or as you called it a concentration camp.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Big B
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

If you look at the other Nazi Death Camps at Chelmno, Belzec, Treblinka and Sobibor, they were just small camps where the gas chambers were linked up to exhaust pipes of vans.

But Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp was just pure evil with 1 camp - birkenau dedicated purely to the gassing of people. The Nazis had the train line going straight up to the station and people marching straight from the trains to the gas chambers.

Auschwitz was able to murder 40,000 people a day. It was really the first Industrial centre style killing centre. It was pure evil. Nazi deportations from occupied countries such as Hungary came straight from the ghettos straight to Auschwitz.

When two men escaped from Auschwitz and tried to tell the world their story about what happened, their story simply was not believed because of the extent of the Nazi mass murder machine.

The sheer size of Auschwitz and the horrors that went on their really make Auschwitz the symbol of pure evil and stand out in the human mind and memory as a symbol of what hate does.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There are multiple reasons. The biggest was that it was the first concentration camp to be liberated by the Soviets, so it was the first big glimpse the world got. Also, it was one of the biggest.

• 3 years ago

Developed by the British throughout the Boer struggle, the motive of a concentration camp is discreet. You acquire those who you recollect to be a adversarial population into a small guarded subject so that they can not rationale difficulty for you. It is now not a uniquely Nazi follow. The americans and Canadians did the same thing with immigrant populations from the Axis nations. However the Nazis did it on a better and nastier scale. The demise camps have been virtually established seeing that the attention camps had been overflowing. Oh, and no, a "awareness camp" has nothing to do with grouping camps together. It is about grouping your suspect population together.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

That Is Where Many More Jews Were Killed (Oops More Jews Were Killed There Than Others) We Just Learned About This In School.....

Source(s): School
  • 9 years ago

it was the main death camp. stupid Himmler and Heydrich needed to concentrate on one

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.