Does anyone in the USA have authority to shut down the Internet and other communications in the event of....?

civil unrest? I have been watching what is going on in Egypt with great worry. It is possible that the government may topple. Things are so out of control. The people have "had it" and I certainly can see why. I really don't like how they have shut down the people's means of communications... show more civil unrest?
I have been watching what is going on in Egypt with great worry. It is possible that the government may topple. Things are so out of control. The people have "had it" and I certainly can see why.
I really don't like how they have shut down the people's means of communications and feel that is wrong.
In this country, I believe there was a law Obama was trying to pass that would give him this authority. Did it pass?
It is our free speech at stake and the free speech of so many people in a country far away.
Should anyone have that authority?
Should people's Internet and cell phone communications be just shut down like that?