Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

who is the suffering servant in Isaiah 53?

if we recount the mission and outcome of the suffering servant in Isaiah 53 is Jseus or Israel

• Karl

Jesus.

bless you.

• Jonny

Israel is suffer servant mentioned in Isaiah 53. The Jews aka. Israel are mentioned as one unit in Jewish text. The fact is that the identity of the servant has already been established by Isaiah in PREViously stated passages. In Isaiah 41 :8-9; 44:1-2, 21; 45:4; 48:20; 49:3 the prophet identifies Israel as the servant.

Moreover, the history of Israel, down through the ages shows that the servant is, none other than Israel personified. Chapter 53 reiterates this fact by providing an historic overview of the tragedies and triumphs of the servant, Israel, throughout its history. Who would believe that this exiled nation, this humiliated loathsome Jewish people would be fated to survive the vicissitudes of its historical sufferings to once more have a future entailing prominence, hope, and joy.

"And he said to me,'You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.'"

Isaiah 49:3 (NRS)

• BMCR

According to Christian beliefs, Jesus was the son of G-d so by that definition he couldn't be G-d's servant.

Also, while it is true that Jesus suffered in his last day alive, he generally did not have a life of suffering.

Also, according to Christian interpretation of one of the verses, his suffering was supposed to effect an atonement for mankind. However, according to Christian beliefs, Jesus's death was the atonement and not his suffering.

Therefore, based on this and other objections, it cannot be referring to Jesus.

Source(s): I'm Jewish
  • sue

It must refer to the Messiah Jesus the Christ. as Israel did not keep the conditions of the covenant of the circumcision and new covenant was announced, the covenant of the blood. By the blood of Christ we are reconciled to God for both Jew and Gentile. The seed of Abraham refers to those born in to the kingdom from faith. Christ righteousness is imputed to us and the Holy spirit writes Gods laws in our hearts and minds we become a new creation. Are sins are wiped clean as white as snow, we are born again and become children of God to inherit his kingdom eternally.

http://www.hiskingdomwillcome.info

Acquainted with grief - For וידוע vidua, familiar with grief, eight MSS. and one edition have וירע veyada, and knowing grief; the Septuagint, Syriac, and Vulgate read it ויודע veyodea.

We hid as it were our faces from him “As one that hideth his face from us” - For וכמסתר uchemaster, four MSS. (two ancient) have וכמסתיר uchemastir, one MS. ומסתיר umastir. For פנים panim, two MSS. have פניו panaiu; so likewise the Septuagint and Vulgate. Mourners covered up the lower part of their faces, and their heads, 2Sa_15:30; Eze_29:17; and lepers were commanded by the law, Lev_13:45, to cover their upper lip. From which circumstance it seems that the Vulgate, Aquila, Symmachus, and the Jewish commentators have taken the word נגוע nagua, stricken, in the next verse, as meaning stricken with the leprosy: εν αφῃ οντα, Sym.; αφημενον, Aq.; leprosum, Vulg. So my old MS. Bible. I will insert the whole passage as curious: -

There is not schap to him, ne fairnesse,

And we seegen him, and he was not of sigte,

And we desiriden him dispisid; and the last of men:

Man of souaris and witing infirmitie;

And he hid his cheer and despisid;

Wherfor ne we settiden bi him:

Verili our seeknesse he toke and our sorewis he bair,

And we helden him as leprous and smyten of God, and meekid;

He forsoth wounded is for our wickednesse,

Defoulid is for our hidous giltis

The discipline of our pese upon him,

And with his wanne wound we ben helid.

Surely he Bath borne our griefs “Surely our infirmities he hath borne” - Seven MSS. (two ancient) and three editions have חליינו cholayeynu in the plural number.

And carried our sorrows “And our sorrows, he hath carried them” - Seventeen MSS. (two ancient) of Dr. Kennicott’s, two of De Rossi’s, and two editions have the word הוא hu, he, before סבלם sebalam, “carrieth them, “in the text; four other MSS. have it in the margin. This adds force to the sense, and elegance to the construction.

The chastisement of our peace “The chastisement by which our peace is effected” - Twenty-one MSS. and six editions have the word fully and regularly expressed, שלמינו shelomeynu; pacificationum nostrarum, “our pacification;” that by which we are brought into a state of peace and favor with God. Ar. Montan.

The Iniquity of us all - For עון avon, “iniquity,” the ancient interpreters read עונות avonoth, “iniquities,” plural; and so the Vulgate in MS. Blanchini. And the Lord hath הפגיע בו hiphgia bo, caused to meet in him the iniquities of us all. He was the subject on which all the rays collected on the focal point fell. These fiery rays, which should have fallen on all mankind, diverged from Divine justice to the east, west, north, and south, were deflected from them, and converged in him. So the Lord hath caused to meet in him the punishment due to the iniquities of All.

I came across these verses in Isaiah_

A clearer fulfillment of the prophecy of Muhammad[PBUH] is found in Isaiah 42:

1- “Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.” Also called ‘my messenger’ in verse 19. No doubt all prophets were indeed servants, messengers and elect of Allah. Yet no prophet is universally called by these specific titles as Muhammad[PBUH] in Arabic “Abduhu wa rasuluhul Mustapha,” i.e. His servant and His elected messenger.

2- “He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.” This describes the decency of Prophet Muhammad[PBUH].

3- “…he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.”

4- “He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.” This is compared with Jesus, who did not prevail over his enemies and was disappointed because of the rejection by the Israelites.

5- “I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand , and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles.” “and will keep thee,” i.e. no other Prophet will come after him. In short time many Gentiles were guided into Islam.

6- “To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.” “Blind eyes, life of darkness” denotes here the pagan life. “Bring out the prisoners from the prison” denotes the abolishment of slavery for the first time in the history of mankind.

7- “I am the lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.” Prophet Muhammad[PBUH] is unique among all Prophets as he is the “Seal of all Prophets” and his teachings remain undistorted until today, compared with Christianity and Judaism.

8- “Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth…” A new song as it is not in Hebrew or Aramaic, but in Arabic. The praise of God and His messenger Muhammad[PBUH] is chanted five times daily from the minarets of millions of mosques all over the world.

9- “Let the wilderness and the cities thereof lift up their voice, the villages that Kedar doth inhabit: let the inhabitants of the rock sing, let them shout from the top of the mountains.” From Mount Arafat near Mecca the Pilgrims chant every year the following: “Here I come (for Your service) O, Allah. Here I come. Here I come. There is no partner with you. Here I come. Verily Yours is the praise, the blessings and sovereignty. There is partner besides You.” Isaiah 42 can never be applied to an Israelite Prophet as Kedar is the second son Ishmael. See Genesis 25:13.

10- “Let them give glory unto the Lord, and declare his praise in the islands.” And really Islam spread to the small islands as far as Indonesia and the Caribbean Sea.

11- “…he shall prevail against his enemies.” In a short period the Kingdom of God on earth was established with the advent of Muhammad[PBUH],

This 42nd chapter of Isaiah fits exactly to the character of Prophet Muhammad[Peace and blessing of God be upon Him].