Does my landlord have to give me 24 hour notice before entering my home? Landlord tenant laws...please help?

I just moved into this new subdivision in Louisiana...im from California I'ev been in Louisiana for five months...I know that they are supposed to have the key to get in ur house as well...in the past i have had the apartment managers keys stolen out of the office but what my manager didn't know is that i had changed my locks when I moved in so I was the only one who was safe from a burgler or rapist or who ever stole the entire apartments complex keys ( I change my locks every time i move into a new place so I can sleep at night I am a single woman and live alone)...I know the laws are different in La but the the thing is in this particular area they require inspections on ur home...now when I first got here I was told the days that they would come in to ur home to inspect and I told my landlord I wanted to be home when they were done and did not want anyone in my house when I wasn't there ( I have had problems in the past of nosy landlords going through my stuff and also the stolen key incident)

well fast forward...Yesterday I was supposed to leave my fire extinguisher outside my door and I forgot when I left for work...I get home and there is a txt message on my phone from her saying she tried to get into my house to get the extinguisher. I was PISSED! I txt her back saying there was Nothing in the notice stating that she would have to go in my house to get the fire extinguisher...now lucky for me I gave her a key that did not work on my doors...She told me she tried to get in to get the extinguisher but my keys did not work...I had a guest in my house and if she would have come in un announced he could have been doing anything! He was asleep I think at the time she attempted to come in...I told her I was pissed that she would have just come in my house un announced and she claims she had to get the extinguisher but the funny thing is the final inspection for all the units is in MARCH! so I think she just wanted to be nosy and come in my house...what recourse do I have to prevent this from happening? I feel my privacy is being invaded and Don't I have rights?

MAIN DETAIL I WAS SPEAKING OF...OK YES I CHANGED THE LOCKS BUT SHE WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN THAT IF SHE HAD NOT TRIED TO COME IN "WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME!!" SHE DID NOT TELL ME SHE WAS COMING IN!! DOESN'T SHE HAVE TO AT LEAST GIVE ME 24 HOURS NOTICE??!! DON'T I HAVE SOME RIGHTS!??

AT THE ONE CALLED "COMMENTATOR"...IF I WANT TO REPOST TO GET MORE ANSWERS IT'S MY PEROGITIVE...URS WAS GOOD BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH OBVIOUSLY

• LILL
    Favorite Answer

As stated before, LA laws do NOT require the landlord to give prior notice to enter.

• Mary

No they aren't supposed to enter without 24 hours notice. Did your landlord come into your home and find a illegal pet? If so, then I'd be more worried about getting evicted for the pet than the landlord coming in.

You are in breach of contract by changing the locks without notice and not providing a working key to the property to your landlord.

A landlord has the right to enter the property with at least 24 hours notice (in 22 states), or have immediate access. Notice is just telling you the landlord is planning to come, as he/she does not need your permission. Generally there is a clause in your lease that states the tenant is not allowed to make any material changes to the property without the approval of the landlord, thus every time you changed th locks in the various properties you have lived in, you have breached the legal contract allowing the landlord to evict you and keep your deposit. Apparently you are failing to recognize that your lease gives you the legal right to use the property, but does not give you ownership of the property to do hat ever you like.

You have the right to a secure private "quiet" enjoyment of the property, but just because your place got broken into in a previous apartment where those rights were were criminally (or had potential to be) sacrificed, that isn't reason enough for you to circumvent the law to attain your sense of total security at future properties

Only 22 states require notice.

The others are OK with a knock on the door.

It is illegal for the owner not to have working keys. In CA too. You can not alter the property at all.

She needs to change those locks again and keep all of the keys until you pay the bill. It will be around 200.

You probably need to buy your own house since you have no respect for other peoples property rights.

did you read the LA laws? and your lease?

now that you made a "material change" [the locks], you're likely in violation of the lease and oculd well be evicted forthwith.

What you "tell" the landlord is meaningless. What counts is what the law says and what your lease says.

The only legal way to "tell" a landlord is to write it in the lease.

***

you forgot and you are getting the consequences. no sympathy whatsoever.

Source(s): ex-landlord.

I already answered this question for you - in great detail. Why repost?