Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

Why Are Video Games More Expensive Than Movies?

DVDs are only like $10 - $20, while video games are around $60!!!!! It's hard to belive they're much more expensive when some movies have really badass special effects and a bunch of crazy stunts and other dangerous stuff, while to make video games you usually just sit at a computer and use some kind of software to make the game, Also, in movies you have to pay actors. In video games you usually only have voice actors but now they're starting to motion capture actors so the video game characters move more realisticly. And you also have to remember video games usually have you going back and playing it over and over again, and if it has multiplayer it's basically unlimited gameplay. While movies you usually see once and then never see them again (unless it's really good or you get bored at home) What do you think?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best answer

Because it took neurons to make a video game. All it takes is morons and bimbos to make a movie.

• 9 years ago

Movies are, as you say, a one time experience that can be quite expensive to produce. However, a video game is a lot more complex to make in the end. The programmers don't simply use an easy-to-understand drag-n-drop program to make games, even if some parts may be made that way. Also, they usually provide much more entertainment with multiplayer and longer singleplayer modes (generally 5-30h) instead of a one-time completely linear movie which probably takes between one and three hours to see. They are also harder to market, since fewer people play video games than watch movies. even my aunts at around 50 years will watch the new blockbusters or indie movies, while i am the only one in my whole family (counting relatives) to play regularly (more than once a week).

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Video games often have just as much overhead as movies.

Most movies are released in theatre first making huge profits before going to DVD. Everything beyond that is pure profit.

Despite what some people think movies still reach a broader market than games

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There is much more replay value in video games, and they cost more money to make. They take up more space, which requires more money. Not to mention the development takes longer than that of most movies.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because, video games are interactive.

• 9 years ago

not only do you as a consumer spend much more time with a game, more people watch movies than play games. games are more intimate..

• 9 years ago

Because they're interactive and aren't 2 hours long.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

More expensive to make- more time to make- bigger franchise.

• 9 years ago

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.