What are your best tips for staying safe on the Internet?

Yahoo! is joining forces with INSAFE, to celebrate Safer Internet Day and to help raise awareness about safety online.

This year, efforts will address safety around “virtual lives” encompassing online gaming and social networking. The slogan for 2011 is, “It’s more than a game, it’s your life.” Staying online and being connected has become critical for today’s youngsters, and not being connected frequently means social exclusion.

For more info read our blog: http://yanswersblog.com/index.php/archives/2011/02...

We now have some things that didn't exist when I was younger: social networking and cellphones. How should a young person stay safe online? IMVHO, it starts with face-to-face dialogue before the computer is powered up or the cellphone turned on (most cellphones have internet access).

--The online names should NOT your own name. Use a nickname or a made-up name.

--NEVER open an e-mail or a link from someone you don't know.

--NEVER give your name or other personal information to anyone online.

--If you must post a picture online, post one that doesn't have anything that would identify your where you live. And no inappropriate pictures.

--If someone you don't know tries to instant-message you online, asks for personal information, or asks for inappropriate pictures/actions, tell a parent or trusted adult.

--Some ISPs have separate sites for children (Yahoo/Yahooligans) or a separate setting (AOL). Take advantage of them.

--If someone wants to take inappropriate pictures/webcam shots of you, refuse and immediately call the adults.

Source(s): Stuff I've learned over time and reading
  • -Make sure every site you visit has come well recommended from your peers and other people your age. Also make sure that a few adults know about and are okay with the site. An unknown site may very well lead to pop-ups, viruses, and many forms of trickery.

-Do not give out personal information under any circumstances UNLESS a parent or guardian says it's okay, which usually won't happen unless you're signing up for something.

-Don't join websites, sign up for promotions/newsletters/anything you have to pay for/contests and such, or visit a new website without parental consent. Believe it or not, they know what they're doing. This may be a new technological age, but even if they don't really know their way around computers, they still know how to keep you safe.

-Do not give out personal information to/agree to meet up with anyone you meet online. If the person is just words and/or a picture on the screen to you, it's not safe. Keep the relationship cordial at best.

-Don't be the people you would want to avoid. Don't ask people for personal information, ask them to meet you, harass them/bother them, make fun of them, stalk them, etc. And be careful what you say. What comes across as a joke in real life may come across as an insult when it's just words on a screen. And if you say the wrong stuff (only say online what you would put on a gigantic sign for the whole world to see), you could even get arrested. So don't.

-Be a little more social, and turn of fthe computer! Have some fun in the real world with your real friends!

address, phone number and picture off the internet.

#2. Never do internet dating.

#3. Keep away from porn because that is where most viruses are at.

#4. Don't be an internet bully, you will go to jail.

#5. Have a anti virus thing connected to your computer. Even if you don't watch porn, there is still a chance that a virus would be on a web sit.

#6. If you have a internet bully, call the police.

#7. Downloading period is not good. I know I seen people put down "don't download porn" but that is not the only thing you should not do. You can get a virus by not even downloading porn. It could be a normal music and a video.

1. Understand what your system can and can not do. Especially the OS. Don't just be a "button pusher."

2. Use up-to-date security programs, and update regularly. There are good free ones as well as commercial ones.

3. NEVER give out or post personal information unless you KNOW where it will be going and where it will be used. READ the "privacy" information and "terms and conditions" and "license" information before using a site, program, or OS.

4. Back up your complete system at least monthly, externally; and important data daily or weekly.

NOTE that Windows OS starting with VISTA does NOT back up the complete system. I don't know about Mac backups since I don't use it.

5. TURN YOUR SYSTEM OFF when not in use. Not only saves energy, but cuts down the chances of it being "stolen" for a bot-net.

6. Disable and/or remove programs you do NOT use but that came with the system. THAT will most likely close SOME "holes" in your system.

7. Disable "remote connections" or "remote access" unless you need it.

8. Use a good password and change frequently, especially on bank and CC accounts. IF you MUST write them down, do NOT keep near computer.

9. Be extremely careful using "public" connections. Do NOT do banking, buying, or anything else that requires a "secure" connection and CC data over a public connection.

Source(s): retired programmer

I found a brilliant tool called K9 Web Protection. It seemed to do a really good job and requires the parent or guardian to choose a password and have complete control of what is allowed and what is restricted. I suppose it might not be foolproof but I was impressed. If I try to take it off the computer it asks for the password. It is totally free and really easy to use. Just follow the instructions.

Really worth trying!

Another tool I like is McAfee Siteadvisor is another tool I like. It works with Internet Internet Explorer, firefox, or Google Chrome. When searching using a search engine such as Yahoo.com or Google it gives information about the results making it simple to decide if the site is going to be harmful to your computer. If the site has not been tested by McAfee a question mark appears next to the web site in the results. It is easy to follow. Colour coded beside each result. Green for tested and okay; yellow exclamation for use caution; Red with an x for warning, at serious risk, and finally; Grey with a question mark for not tested yet, use caution.

I hope this helps.

Source(s): www.k9webprotection.com/ www.siteadvisor.com/

First off, never give your passwords out to anyone. I don't care if someone instant messages you claiming to be from AOL, you shouldn't give your password out. You also should be careful of websites that look like official websites that ask for your password. If you are uncertain about the website, just type in the regular homepage address. That way you are sure you are on the actual homepage.

Make your passwords difficult for people to guess. This is such a simple tip, but you would be surprised how many people forget to do this. It's usually recommended to pick a password that has letters AND numbers in it. If you just pick a word in the dictionary, it is easier for someone to guess. Putting letters and numbers together makes it much more difficult. Also, putting special characters in your password is also good.

Do not download software from pop-up boxes. I'm talking about those boxes that sometimes come up when you go to a website. Often times they will pretend to be a warning message that says your computer is infected with Spyware. Don't download those software programs! They are most likely Spyware. If you want to know some legitimate Spyware removers, check out my blog where I have some listed. My blog address is at the bottom of this article.

Do not click on links in spam e-mails you receive! I cannot stress this enough. There is absolutely no reason that you should click on a link in an e-mail from someone you don't know. What is the worst that could happen if you do? Well, the link could take you to a website that will infect your computer with a virus through a security hole. That can happen just by visiting a website. Seriously, there is no reason to click on a link from someone you don't know. If you've got an e-mail from someone claiming to be from eBay wanting your password, then log in from the main website. If eBay really needs you to log in so bad that they are e-mailing you, I'm sure there will be a big notice right on your account when you do log in through the actual website.

And finally, be careful with what personal information you put on the internet. Unless you are ordering something, you should not need to give out your last name, home address, or home phone number. If I sign up for a website and they need something like my phone number, I just give them my cell phone number. Even that though I don't generally recommend.

The following will help you be a little safer if not invincible from the traps people set in the world wide web :

- Never click on ads.

- Never entertain pop-up windows.

- Make sure the site you're entering is not a phishing site !

[In simple words, phishing sites are an exact clone of any site which requires you to enter your username and password.For example, the Yahoo! protection seal has been created for the purpose of ascertaining that you are in an authentic yahoo sign-in page.]

- Never give your banking details to unknown sites.

- Never share banking data over social-networking sites.

- Perhaps you're familiar with these kind of links on Facebook, "OMG, Click here to see the status update that got this girl expelled !" etc. Never click on these links as they will extract personal info off of your profile.

- Never go for sites which say that you've won 'x' amount of cash etc.

- Never click on links which say that they're giving away free iPads or anything as such.

- This may sound very annoying but getting a proper, licensed Antivirus does help in keeping you safe from the perils of the net.

Happy surfing !

I'm a pretty basic user ... I never scroll through my e-mails ...I only click on e-mails sent from people or sites I have chosen.

Keep a small notebook to write the website down, the web address used to access the information, the date & time the contact was initiated, the password and leave space to log what you've changed your password to, date & time.

Empty the spam, trash & recycle bins each time you're on.

Of course ... Never, never let anyone know your passwords ... not even your spouse!

These are just SOME of the basics I do; I'm certain I probably could do much more! I plan on watching this question to read the responses here! Great question guys!

Keep up the good job!

Source(s): ME ! An everyday basic computer skills woman ! LOL !
  • B

Never, ever give out your real name, age or location. Even if it is someone you've talked to a lot, it doesn't mean that they're a friend. Use actual e-mail addresses, acquired in person, to discuss any personal business online with a friend. Do not air anything truly personal/confidential on sites such as facebook. If you wouldn't shout it from the streetcorner, then it shouldn't be on facebook.

If anyone you are chatting with in a game or on facebook that isn't a real-world aquaintance starts asking for personal information, especially age, leave immediately and do not respond back to them. People can also more subtly fish for your age- asking for your favorite bands and movies for example- that information can tell a lot about how old you are.

If a site tells you that you can only proceed if you click on this button or this ad, leave immediately. There are often viruses and malware associated with those. Never click on an ad and buy. If you weren't going in search of it, then you don't need to buy it. Those are often scams.

Only shop online through reputable dealers- amazon.com, e-bay, if you have thoroughly scrutinized the product, or the online version of known real-world stores. Doing otherwise risks your credit card.

Never open attachments that you weren't expecting, even if it comes from someone you know- viruses can send themselves through a friend's e-mail.

Never let others use your computer- you never know what they will do.

Disable most of the options of facebook or don't use it- especially disable the option to let others 'check you in' to a location. That is extremely unsafe, as it tells the world where to find you.

Don't post home photos online, especially from a phone camera. Those have GPS embedded in them, and with the right software, can be used to find you.

Don't post pictures of yourself.

Finally, if something or someone sounds too good to be true, chances are, it/they probably are.

1. Never accept an online friend request on any social website if you don't recognize the person's name. If it is really someone you know and you haven't accepted it, they will call you or tell you in person they sent it and ask you why you haven't accepted it. Only, then should you accept it.

2. Include family members in all of your social network sites. It keeps you honest and the people that post to you honest. Plus, if you accidentally write something that could be interpreted wrongly they can help you fix it.

3. Never chat with someone you don't know - NEVER!

4. Use a service (like Norton 360) that identifies which websites are safe sites and which websites are questionable.

5. Only provide financial information on sites that begins with "https". Not just "http". It must have the "s" on the end.

6. If you receive an email or any offer for something free, delete it. Nothing is ever free, not even online. Not even from a store name you recognize. If you still want to believe it, then call the store first to verify I am correct, but believe me, nothings free!

Source(s): Online user

#1. Keep your name, address, phone number and picture off the internet.

#2. Never do internet dating.

Note: Porn do not have internet bullying. The main problem of porn is the virus it has connected to it. Putting your picture on the internet can be safe but its a good idea to just have a simple photo of yourself. When your going to look at a new web site, always look at reviews on it.