What are your best tips for staying safe on the Internet?

Yahoo! is joining forces with INSAFE, to celebrate Safer Internet Day and to help raise awareness about safety online.

This year, efforts will address safety around “virtual lives” encompassing online gaming and social networking. The slogan for 2011 is, “It’s more than a game, it’s your life." Staying online and being connected has become critical for today’s youngsters, and not being connected frequently means social exclusion.

For more info read our blog: http://www.yahoo7answersblog.com/b4/2011/02/05/sta...

62 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best answer

I like how most people are focusing on the virus side of things. :/

- don't give out personal information. ever.

- Don't add people you don't know

- don't be a jerk- 'cause there are some people online who will take things too far, find out your personal information and use it against you. it's not really that hard.

- Don't fall for banner ads. 99.99999% of the time they want your personal information. you haven't really won anything.

- things that want your mobile number (quizzes, games, etc.) will constantly text you and eat up every last cent of your credit OR if you don't have credit they will rack up a massive bill

- if someone does something wrong, report them. most internet sites care when users break the rules.

- don't download things from suspicious sites. if unsure, don't download. ask for someone elses opinion if it's something you really want. but better safe then you're computer infected by the spongebob virus.

- ensure firewalls and anti virus software are turned on.

- when buying things online make sure it's from a good site. same deal as the download thing 'cept you have to bee even more careful. this is your credit card where talking about.

that's all I can think of for now. basically just common sense stuff.

• Teresa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

-Make sure every site you visit has come well recommended from your peers and other people your age. Also make sure that a few adults know about and are okay with the site. An unknown site may very well lead to pop-ups, viruses, and many forms of trickery. -Do not give out personal information under any circumstances UNLESS a parent or guardian says it's okay, which usually won't happen unless you're signing up for something. -Don't join websites, sign up for promotions/newsletters/anything you have to pay for/contests and such, or visit a new website without parental consent. Believe it or not, they know what they're doing. This may be a new technological age, but even if they don't really know their way around computers, they still know how to keep you safe. -Do not give out personal information to/agree to meet up with anyone you meet online. If the person is just words and/or a picture on the screen to you, it's not safe. Keep the relationship cordial at best. -Don't be the people you would want to avoid. Don't ask people for personal information, ask them to meet you, harass them/bother them, make fun of them, stalk them, etc. And be careful what you say. What comes across as a joke in real life may come across as an insult when it's just words on a screen. And if you say the wrong stuff (only say online what you would put on a gigantic sign for the whole world to see), you could even get arrested. So don't. -Be a little more social, and turn of fthe computer! Have some fun in the real world with your real friends!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

- Don't visit any unfamiliar sites without knowing what it is about.

- When talking to a stranger, make sure they can't see a photo of you nor can they see any of your details. If they ask for your details, even just your location, either tell them a city from where you don't actually live or don't answer the question. I always make up where I live. Don't give them your age, address (extremely important), school, work, company, phone number or even the places you like visiting.

- If someone is pressuring you in any kind, there will most likely be a 'report' option somewhere on the website. Report them and don't talk to them anymore.

- Get a security wall for your internet so that you can automatically be protected from dangerous sites.

- Never post any photos online that you wouldn't want your family to see. This includes half naked/naked photos. It is unclassy and unnecessary not to mention the ultimate dream for pedofiles on the internet.

Hope this helped!

• Berni
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

There was a time when viruses spread through pirated software & floppy disks. In those old days, the best way of keeping digitally safe was adoption of policies. But with the advent of Internet and now the social networking, it is increasingly harder to manage privacy & security through some general good practices.

As I'm used to say, we can only fight machines with machines. Our best chances are to rely more & more on software such as Internet Security Suites and specially those who have added feature of Backup. Let me describe two extreme cases to make my point clear:

Suppose first guy exclusively depends on his "best practices" while using Internet. The overwhelming speed & amount of information and websites will definitely get him caught unguarded sooner or later.

Now suppose the second guy who is behind a hypothetical perfect firewall, anti-virus and anti-spam filters. This man surely has more peace of mind and more freedom roaming the information superhighway.

With sophistication comes specialized services. In rural areas, who needs traffic police? The same is true of online life.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Never download or visit the websites that you are not sure safe and don't give any personal identification like your date of birth your real name just the user name.Always have a security system specially the anti-virus make sure that your whole family will have a protection we don't know now a days youngsters are so venerable always in the computer.I think this modern time everybody were hooked up in the sort of kind of network and not to mention parents are always working so long so good idea that we have a precaution to our children.

• 9 years ago

Be careful of what you say on the internet, giving out any personal information to anyone specially you social security number. Don't upload any pictures that your gonna regret doing in the future when time comes. Watch what you type on the internet because once it's out there anybody is able to get grab and copy and paste it or attach it. Specially things like a socail network you have to be aware if your applying for a job they might go check, and see and give second thoughts about what think about you as far as you personality. For Example: Applying for a Job, or College,Etc.

• 9 years ago

I had every member of my Yahoo!7 email contacts list sent an invitation to view my Facebook and photos - that includes old business associates, friends, family - everyone. I feel this is an incredible invasion of my privacy and as I did not send the message knowingly, my only answer is that perhaps Yahoo themselves was involved. I would be very disappointed in Yahoo if this was the case and hope it wasn't. Has anyone else had this happen and how do you stop it? I have had to placate many of my friends who have told me I should have known better, that they want their email to be as private as possible (as I do).

Also in answer to the question above, don't join all the "free" email sites. For a start they aren't free, and from my experience, they pass on your information to as many other sites as they possibly can, so much so that my inbox has grown about 80% with unwanted offers.

• 9 years ago

For starters, you want good protection on your computer against viruses, downloading only legit programs that can't have anything which will hack into you and steal information, etc.

But that's not the only thing.

You have to keep personal information to yourself, not giving it to anyone or posting it up anywhere

Including:

-Full Name

-Date of Birth

-Mobile Numbers

-Places that you are going, especially with times and dates.

All things that can allow identity theft, stalking, etc.

You also need to keep profiles on social networks private.

Like, don't have facebook, myspace, etc profiles set so that anybody and everybody can see all the details you have on there.

Don't add strangers. Only add people you know so that way you can't be adding any paedophiles, stalkers, or anything like that.

It's just basic stuff that everybody should do and be aware of. (:

• 9 years ago

1. Do not give away personal information.

This includes, - real names, if on a program with usernames.

- location. country is the only exception - but be careful.

- family and friends. dont say their names!!

- personal facts. Like, dancing times or places etc. Or hair colour...

2. Change your password every 4 months. Also, make sure your password has atleast one

number, and one symbol, and is not your name!!! Too easy to guess for anyone, hacker or not.

3. If you don't know them, don't add them. Especially on face-book, do not add people you have not met face to face.

4. If you met someone who, perhaps isn't the kind of person you should meet, then would you give them your information? If the answer is no, why do it on the internet? And if the answer is yes....what on earth are you thinking?!?!

These are my best 4 tips for saying safe on the internet.

Thanks!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you are going to use a social networking site or game or even an account like yahoo then use your first and middle names or middle and last names. use a month or 2 and a day or 2 away from your actual D.O.B and dont use pictures of yourself and never give away personal details. only use credit card details on trusted sites and if you dont know the person in real life then dont give them any personal information

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.