What are your best tips for staying safe on the Internet?

Yahoo! is joining forces with INSAFE, to celebrate Safer Internet Day and to help raise awareness about safety online.

This year, efforts will address safety around “virtual lives” encompassing online gaming and social networking. The slogan for 2011 is, “It’s more than a game, it’s your life." Staying online and being connected has become critical for today’s youngsters, and not being connected frequently means social exclusion.

For more info read our blog: http://www.yanswersblognz.com/b4/2011/02/05/stay-s...

Don't use your real/full name.

Don't write down exactly where you live(rather just write down the city you live in).

Don't give out any personal details(such as exact birth date, age, parents names etc).

Don't share your photos publicly unless you know the person, personally.

Don't give out your mobile number/landline.

Don't let anyone know your password(s).

Make sure you have a good up to date antivirus.

If you have computer problems, go to the tech centre.

Don't visit a bunch of websites especially random/dodgy websites.

Don't be fooled by scams, spams, ads, dodgy emails etc.

Don't just click on anything.

Don't give out your email unless you trust the person.

Don't be telling anyone in the internet where you'll be, where you are, where you're going, how you'll get there, what you'll wear, who you'll be with etc.

Just avoid talking about and writing an essay about yourself, if you must then keep it sweet and short and don't get too detailed. Like instead of using your real name, use your nickname and make up a new name that rhymes with your name, instead of saying your exact date of birth(eg. 01/01/01) just use your birth month(eg. january), instead of your real age(eg. 20) lie about your age a bit by saying 19 and a half, never give out your parents names or siblings or best mates.

As a well rehearshed programmer and "Grey Hat". I would tell you that the easiest way to stay safe on the web with your important information is simply not to have it there.

Aka do not plug a computer with valuable information on it into the web. Simple.

And especialy for youngster's, "they" and the "general public" just arnt aware what is out there or who is watching them, regardless of thousands of dollars of security equiptment and software trying to protect you....A single zeroday exploit will always get through, the world is not perfect and neither are computer's and never will be.

The crazy shit I've come accross that is capable of being done is just unbelievable even if I told it to you or proved it(Which I can). And its things that just cannot be fixed.

Simply you want to be safe on the web. Buy a new computer....a fresh compy of windows/linux...and plug your empty computer onto the web and do things that do not require personal information or anything of value from you entered into the PC. Then you will be safe.

Source(s): Bachelor of Information systems

If Your An Children That Means You Need Family Safety

Other than the usual necessity to have a robust virus, malware and firewall solution, the most important ip is to USE COMMON SENSE!

Scammers, criminals etc are VERY good at social engineering to get hold of personal data. Think...if someone approached me on the street or rang, would I just give them this information? If the answer is no, then the same response should apply to online activity.

Basically, think before you act. Always keep in mind that nothing on the internet is private. Pay attention to what kind of sites you're using and don't trust all these strangers and what not. Keep personal information to yourself unless you are positive it's a trustworthy site that is secure. (The little lock)

I saw a documentary recently about people giving their personal details out and that leading to creepy people meeting up with them and killing them. Don't ever give out your personal details! It can lead to hacking etc.. and the worst thing to come out of sharing your personal details is death. I share my name, my birthday and I've been safe for over two years. I think if you keep your information limited then you'll be fine, and on Facebook you should protect your photos and whatever else.

Keep safe!!

Believe nothing you see on the Internet. Including this.

Give out your friends social security numbers instead of your own.

Avoid giving out personal information such as bank account no., credit card no., home address, etc.

• Bay of Plenty has said it all, bascially one should not disclose full real name and location as well as cell number :)

+ Picture