Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Is there an American "condition" that encourages its citizens to "not care" about the outside world?

Apologies to the Americans that do but so many seem to just "not care".

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201...

..

Lmao @ "book larnin'" (((((aggy)))))

And no, the Brits probably didn't care too much for the ordinary Indian or the natives of any country but at least I could point their countries out on a map.

...

Lol ((((sips))))

I know, where is Jabs (((((olga))))) - I'll need to mail him.

I love sharing knowledge ((((olgs)))) - I love to learn about other places too!

:-)

...

Please, do not disillusion them

They did not know there WAS an outside world.

(((Seals))) I'll agree with you that our citizens, on the whole, know too little about the rest of the world.

YA, you, Aggy, KeithZ, Jabberwock (where is he) and others along with Google Earth have taught me much. Thanks

edit: what Faeden said below me is basically true.

Americans are taught to worship their country from a young age, salute the flag like good little robots without question. they are taught they are the best country on earth and that they are gods number 1 country. they are taught a warped version of history and of other cultures, so with all that propaganda going on its no wonder they care little about the rest of the world. but not all Americans are that way many do get out there and learn.

Source(s): Visited many times.

((((♥ Seal ♣ing))))

Not to generalize, but it's not so much as "not caring" as it is many are "not knowing" or wanting to know about other cultures and ways. Here in Canada, Rick Mercer had a running satirization of the knowledge base of the general public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_to_Americans#...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeNrgXZpeAw

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

I remember, ages ago, when in a couchette from Nice to Venice some American tourists boarded and asked me if "Y'all speak American?" to which I politely responded "No habla ingles señor". They left me alone to my bottle of wine in a paper bag and then went on to trash the South of France complaining that there was "no good American food to eat round here".

I honestly do not think a lot of the population do.

I mean there are plenty of very intelligent and inquisitive Americans, but the odds seem stacked against them.

• Hiway

Seriously? If anything Americans are accused of "caring" too much to the point of meddling in the affairs of many countries outside of their world.

Put down the remote and pull your head out of the backside of that couch and realize that people are people.America is a melting pot of many immigrants and much more tolerant than you.

Here's a linky dink regarding Britons' ignorance of their own history.

That said, the question you reference is a bit shaky. I've been told by Britons that there's a difference between Britain and the UK. (According to them, Northern Ireland is not part of Britain , but * is * part of the UK).

So, was my British friend incorrect?

You mean like the one any "superpower" usually had when they carried the mantle?

Are you really going to tell me the UK "cared" about the outside world when they were subjugating India and other such areas?

Please.

Just make sure you ready that arrow when China finishes snatching it from us.

Outside world? I don't care about what happens across the street.

I think most americans are happy living in their pretty little wigwams and herding cattle across the plains. Many of them now have book larnin' and their lovely covered wagons can get right across the country in a year. So don't knock them.

(((Seals)))

We had to save yall's backsides in 2 world wars. You are on your own now.