Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Have any of you ever been forced to join a Union to get a Job?

Nope but I was in the union and it was great. Good pay, Bennie's, work. Unions are for the people not the CEO that gets a million dollar bonus.

• Lee J

Once, when I was a marine electrician. And what a bunch of pathetic losers.

One night (I worked 3rd shift) I was deep in the guts of a tug boat, installing a pump motor, when I got a call that an electrician was needed in the machine shop right away. So, I stopped what I was doing, put away my tools, climbed out of the tug, and hiked several hundred yards to the machine shop. Once there, I found a bunch of highly paid machinists sitting on their azzes smoking and drinking coffee because ONE of the light bulbs had burned out and it was just too dark for them to continue working until an electrician replace the flippin' bulb. Ridiculous!

Another time, I had to open up a box to disconnect some wiring, but a small pipe passed in front of the box making it impossible for me to remove the front cover. No problem, I just reached into my tool belt, pulled out a wrench, and loosed the brackets mounting the pipe to the wall so that I could remove the cover from the box. Holy crap! The pipe fitters pitched such a fit, you'd have thought I was performing unauthorized brain surgery. I had to sit around for an hour for some overpaid slob of a pipe fitter to wander over with a wrench and perform the highly complex task of loosening two nuts.

And have you noticed that the most heavily unionized industries are the ones that are now suffering the most?

Yes. It depends what state you are in as to whether or not joining a union is mandatory for the job. My experience as a union member was good and although it was many years ago I still see some in other types of employment benefiting from being a member. A union can help make the work place more secure when it comes to companies downsizing.

Source(s): Labor relations classes and life experience.
  • rrm38

No, but I've never worked for a unionized company. My ex husband is a master machinist. As a metal worker, he's worked in several union shops. He's never joined a union and has broken picket lines to work on many occasions. If you really don't want to be in a union, it is possible to find work without doing so.

No. And has worked in two different union print shops. And the percentage of people working in those shops that were union was less than 25%.

Not me, but my brother was forced to two times.

Not only was he forced to join, but he also had to make a choice between forced to donating to a candidate he did not support through his dues, or giving up his right to a secret ballot. In order to get that portion of his dues back, he had to file by name to get them back, and the last person that tried to do it didn't have a job for much longer.

Yes When I finished high school in NYC, all the good paying jobs required you suck union butt.

no, but in college, when asked 2x, I had to lie that I was a union member when I worked at certain mines in the northeast and it was made abundantly clear by my employer, never arrive at the job site driving anything but an American made car or truck.

They were serious. I've seen what they do to foreign made cars in mining towns.

Yes and like all the others was happy to do it.

You can't have some receiving the benefits of the union, without being a member, (some want their cake and eat it too)

In KY. it was mandatory, at union shops, you have NO CHOICE at UNION SHOPS. That is why they leave for right to work states.