Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

Why do the 'Jackass' movies rate considerably high on imdb?

They have basically no plot - how can they get a score like that when there are others movies with a thicker plotline ranking lower? How can they even be called movies? Don't get me wrong, I love the show and the movies but in terms of plot, character development, it's pretty vacuous.

• Andrew

I haven't ever seen one but like you noticed that they get surprisingly good reviews. David put it pretty well, Jackass isn't trying to give you a great plot or character development, it's just instant satisfaction type of comedy.

Why do you think a movie has to have a plot or character development? This is incorrect. A movie could be a film of a nothing but a blank wall. My point is that a movie is simply something that's been filmed.

IMDB ratings tend to be based on how many people liked a movie a lot. Jackass is very entertaining and makes people laugh a lot. Sure, it's the total junk-food of entertainment, but a little junk food is fine once in a while.

I would also add that I have seen films which had a very thick plot but their value to me was zero--they weren't entertaining, they weren't educational, they weren't enriching in any way. Don't get me wrong, I do like movies that have plots, but a movie does not have to have a thick plot to be good, and not all movies that have a thick plot are good.

They're just fun movies, and the TV show was great as well. A movie doesn't have to be one way, or have a plot. Documentaries are movies, and they don't have a constructed plot (well, some do), and "Jackass" is its own genre.

They aren't supposed to have a plot or well-developed characters. There aren't even any characters, remember? It's supposed to be a bunch of guys doing stupid things. And "Jackass" really delivers the laughs for what it is!

When watching a Jackass movie, you don't look for plot or characters. It's simply people preforming stupid and dangerous stunts for our amusement. It is done well so we rate it high for the type of film it is.

• David

Films can't always be judged side by side. Jackass isn't trying to be Citizen Kane, you know? Different films, different pursuits, different expectations.

I suppose it's because it does what it intends to do very well - ie make people laugh and cringe at men doing stupid stuff. That's all they want really and it definitely works!

• you are what you watch and there must be alot of jackasses on that site.

they are much funny.