How can I meditate more effectively?

It was suggested to me I try yoga meditation with breathing quite a while back. I tried the breathing a little bit, but did not really understand what meditation means. I believed it would help but didn't get the benefits of really understanding and doing it correctly, so I was not consistant. I found out I... show more It was suggested to me I try yoga meditation with breathing quite a while back. I tried the breathing a little bit, but did not really understand what meditation means. I believed it would help but didn't get the benefits of really understanding and doing it correctly, so I was not consistant.

I found out I could take a meditation class to fill a general requirement for my college studies so I have been taking that since January, and since I started meditating I have noticed benefits such as I am more calm in the face of emotional stress and I can think and manage things a little more clearly and effectively. I'd really like to do even better to improve the situations that my familiy and I face.

The past few weeks I can not clear my mind when I try to meditate. I am troubled with many thoughts and worries that don't leave me so I just sit and think about them instead of actually meditating.

I know about the "folder" meathod and that is no good right now, and I get distracted from doing mantra as well. I just do breathing. I still feel a little calm as I think my mind relaxes a little bit, but the effects don't seem very great right now at all.

Does anyone have experience/suggestions?
Update: Mindfulness. That is the first principle that was brought up in class the first day. But I realized as I re-read the beginning chapters of the book I have by Jon Kabat Zinn today that I forgot the point is to expect nothing at all during meditation. That the point of meditation is to bring the mind to a greater... show more Mindfulness. That is the first principle that was brought up in class the first day. But I realized as I re-read the beginning chapters of the book I have by Jon Kabat Zinn today that I forgot the point is to expect nothing at all during meditation. That the point of meditation is to bring the mind to a greater state and you might be calmer and wiser in solving your problems later. It's weird but after being reminded of that I was able to meditate pretty well I think. Thanks for reminding me of that.
Update 2: I appreciate your answer Mahi. I feel that meditation is indeed very valuable.