Christians who believe each day of creation was a literal 24-hour earth day - how come the seventh day isn't?

I'm curious to know how it can be that each of the six days of creation are supposed to have lasted 24-hours (as in an Earth day) yet the seventh day, God's rest day, is still continuing, thousands of years after Adam and Eve were created. I understand that the Hebrew word for day ('yom') can mean... show more I'm curious to know how it can be that each of the six days of creation are supposed to have lasted 24-hours (as in an Earth day) yet the seventh day, God's rest day, is still continuing, thousands of years after Adam and Eve were created. I understand that the Hebrew word for day ('yom') can mean an unspecified amount of time. Is the Hebrew word for the seventh day different to the Hebrew word for the other six days?

Also, there is scientific evidence to prove that the rotation of planet Earth was originally much faster and that Earth's rotation is still slowing down. Given what we know about this planet, and its age, how can each of the six days of creation be only 24 hours long?

Please do not misunderstand me - I absolutely believe that God created the universe, this planet and all life. I'm just having a hard time in understanding how it all happened in six literal earth days.
Update: How do I come to the assumption that the seventh day is still continuing? From Hebrews 4:1-13. part of which says: "Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands... Now we who have believed, enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my... show more How do I come to the assumption that the seventh day is still continuing? From Hebrews 4:1-13. part of which says: "Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands... Now we who have believed, enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work." And again, in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest." It still remains that some will enter that rest... Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David..." That's why I believe that God is still resting and that thousands of years later, we are still in that seventh day of God's rest.
Update 2: I have no problem with the Genesis account of creation - only the literal interpretation of the Hebrew word 'yom' as meaning a period of 24 Earth hours. Circa A.D. 225, Origen asked how there could be an evening and a morning on days 1 to 3 without a sun, moon or stars while the first day was even without a... show more I have no problem with the Genesis account of creation - only the literal interpretation of the Hebrew word 'yom' as meaning a period of 24 Earth hours. Circa A.D. 225, Origen asked how there could be an evening and a morning on days 1 to 3 without a sun, moon or stars while the first day was even without a heaven. Augustine (circa A.D. 400) had a few strong words to say about people who interpreted 'day' as being 24 hours in his book 'The Literal Meaning of Genesis.'

I am merely asking if this literal interpretation can stand up to scrutiny given what we now know about the observable universe. Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_...

Does the Hebrew word 'yom' lend itself to being interpreted as a period of time?
Update 3: Good point made by Doctor regarding Adam and Eve being created on 'day six' and the fact that Adam was 'settled' into the Garden of Eden, and had named all the animals before God created Eve. I'm not being dogmatic about the age of the earth and I appreciate how people have vested interests, but this isn't about... show more Good point made by Doctor regarding Adam and Eve being created on 'day six' and the fact that Adam was 'settled' into the Garden of Eden, and had named all the animals before God created Eve.

I'm not being dogmatic about the age of the earth and I appreciate how people have vested interests, but this isn't about evolution. It's about whether or not we can interpret 'yom' as a literal period of 24-Earth hours, or whether there is evidence to suggest it means an unspecified amount of time.

Religious dogma cost Giordano Bruno his life because he agreed with Copernicus and disagreed with the perceived wisdom that the earth was the centre of the universe and everything revolved round it. In 1543 he was burned at the stake for saying the earth orbits the sun. The Catholic Church got round to issuing an apology in March 2000.
Update 4: The link provided by Doctor is worth reading.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion and I leave it up to you to pick a best answer.