Is it safe to put 10 boxes of books in the loft?

My house is a town house built in late 1990s. I plan to put 10 boxes of books (a total of 200) in the loft. But I am worried if the boxes are too heavy for the loft. Can you please give your answer?

When I stand in the loft, I don't feel any problem with my weight. I guess the books weight up to the double of my body weight.

A plumber before told me that I can use the loft for storage. But he did not say how much stuff I can put there. 200 books?!

• Mr P

If your loft is floor boarded there is no problem, just spread the load by not putting all the boxes in one place. If your loft isn't boarded out you can get some loft grade chip board from one of the bigger DIY places like B&Q and lay them on the joists to spread the weight and stop damage to your ceilings. Hope this helps.

• Joan

Mike P has the answer spot on. Get a sheet of wood and lay it over the joists. Then you can put the boxes of books on top of the wood.

• rick

200 books, at about a pound apiece. Do you feel ok standing up there? If worried you'll cause a sag, keep near the sides/walls this is the strongest area of you floor.

its not a problem ..but dont put them all together ..spread the weight

may i take the size of your house, the measurements of the wood used and the type of wood used and also the quantity? thanks.

not a problem