Figure skaters: Is it okay to have two coaches?

A lot of skaters at my rink have a couple different coaches that they train with. I think it's a good idea because then you can get different opinions and strategies. But for some reason my current coach is hesitant to have additional lessons with another coach. But none of the other coaches seem to mind that their skaters take classes with other coaches. Why do you think she is so hesitant?

In most rinks it is normal to have two or even more coaches, with a general agreement as to who is your "main coach". It is beneficial to get a different perspective on things, or even just a different way of saying things. Or there might be a coach who is an expert or specialized in a certain area, such as spin or jump technique.

Your coach might be hesitant because she is worried that you would take lessons with another coach and then quit lessons with your original coach. Sadly at some rinks this is a problem, a skater will have a second coach who criticizes the other coach's technique and persuades the skater to only have lessons with the new coach.

Try explaining to your coach that you think it would really help you to have experience with another coach as well. Emphasize that you wouldn't consider leaving your current coach, just want a few lessons with another coach to consolidate your lessons.

Hope this helps and good luck! :)

At my rink girls would hire 3 different coaches or more -- one for stroking, one for spins, one for jumps...every coach has their specialty so if you work with someone who is specialized in something like spins you can get more out of a lesson. One girl had to hire 2 jump coaches to help her get a double axel. Its all the same technique usually, but the way a coach explains it to the student makes all the difference, its what works for them. Good luck, and make sure to talk with your main coach about having a second coach on the side before making any changes.

Many top skaters have multiple coaches that only focus on one aspect... for example many have a coach just for moves then another just for jumps... but if u r starting off and not into doubles yet, there is really no need for you to have more than one coach

First, your coach may feel that you'll switch coaches eventually, leaving her/him with one less skater. Try telling him/her that you'll have the same amount of lessons with him/her per week, and just add an extra lesson with a new coach. If your coach agrees to this, ask which other coach he/she would prefer you to add on as a secondary coach.

Source(s): Skater of 6 years with 2 coaches.

I do this, and I think it really helps, like you said it gives you different opinions and strategies. The only reason I could think of that she doesnt want you to do this is maybe shes worried about losing money? I really dont know though.

complex stuff. lookup into the search engines. this could actually help!

No

No.