How many miles is too many when buying a used motorcycle?

I'm looking into buying a used 2000 KLR 650 that has about 36 k miles on it. The price is pretty high for the miles it has on it but the bike has tons of upgrades (crash bars, skid plate, etc) I know the KLR is a dual sport and has probably been offroad some. If the bike seems to be in good condition would it be alright to pull the trigger and get it or should I stay away?

Favorite Answer

Once again, I'm going with James 100% on this one.

I once completed what you might consider to be a "pre-purchase inspection" for a friend of mine. He had been eyeing a Kawasaki Ninja 650 that he'd found online, and so I met him at a local parking lot where the owner rode up on his bike to perform his sales pitch. It didn't take long for me to pull my friend aside and tell him he was wasting his time--this bike was junk.

The sad thing is that the bike was less than two years old, but its condition was a disgrace. The tires were in poor condition, the chain was rusted so badly that the formation of several frozen links could be seen, the cables were rusted (with the clutch cable partially eaten through), there were scuff marks everywhere from multiple crashes, and the oil had the consistency of chocolate syrup. This bike was less than two years old, had 18,000 miles on it, and probably wouldn't have made it another year.

The 21-year old rider really didn't think there was anything wrong with the bike he'd purchased new just 18 months before, so while my friend pulled away in his car, I had a brief discussion with the seller about what he probably needed to do better next time.

On the other hand, I purchased a 2003 Ninja 250 for my wife last year that was personally owned by a dealer mechanic. People often use the expression "it looked like it just came out of the showroom", but in this case, it really did. I could find NOTHING wrong with it, and as a result, I wasn't at all scared off by the 38,000 miles on the odometer.

Finally, one of my street bikes is a 25-year old Ninja ZX600A...with 91,000 original miles (though I admit it's consuming about as much oil at this point as gasoline, and will finally require rebuilding this summer).

My advice is to have a reputable mechanic check the bike over if you're not sure what to look for. In any event, mileage means nothing if the bike wasn't abused.

Good luck, and ride safe.

Source(s): Buyer of lots of old bikes

On older bikes, you really have to assess the bike's condition. Mileage is far less important than how well it has been cared for. If abused, a bike can easily be trashed in under 10,000 miles. If well-maintained, it can last over 100,000. Here's an example:

http://pulse.yahoo.com/_766ECMP6PUB6DYVSWTDTMKRV7U...

This is one of my bikes: 30 years old, very high-mileage, but better performing than when new. I bought it new. I would ride this one across the continent tomorrow with no worries.

That is about 3500 miles a year. or less than 300 miles a month. The bike was hardly ridden. Get on it, take if for a spin if the seller will let you. If you feel comfortable and the bike feels and sounds okay, go for it.

I am looking into buying a Honda 250r at the price of R18 K it also has a 27K so I am not sure if this is a suitable price. Its also my first time getting a bike so any advice would help.

50000 Km To Miles

I sold a 10yr old 250 with 50,000km on it because that was too many, and bought a 10yr old 750 with 120,000km on it. It's still going well now with over 160,000 km on it. I treat it good and it looks after me.

I think it is all depends, usually the motorcycle seems in good condition, however, that maybe great problem inside.

if you are in any doubt , walk away . there will be another bike another time