My new betta acts weird and 'floats' near the top all the time?

I just got a new betta and he is in a 5 gallon tank. He seems to hang out and 'float' at the top all the time and I don't see him exploring much, even though there are some live plants and a skull cave for him to go into. (My previous betta LOVED the cave). He just seems bored and not very active. ... show more I just got a new betta and he is in a 5 gallon tank. He seems to hang out and 'float' at the top all the time and I don't see him exploring much, even though there are some live plants and a skull cave for him to go into. (My previous betta LOVED the cave).
He just seems bored and not very active. Maybe it's because he is new and not comfortable yet?
ALSO, I got a feeding ring to help keep the tank cleaner but the pellets all stick to the sides and I haven't seen him eat once out of it, so I don't know if he is even eating. The flakes float for a little bit but then sink anyway. I don't even know if he can see the food because he doesn't venture around much.
Should I just get rid of the ring?
I feel bad for him and I want him to be fun & active.
Update: He looks quite healthy, and young too.
I purchased him at PetSmart. My last betta, Ketchup, I had for aobut 5 years, which is an extremely long time for a betta.
Update 2: Okay, I must clarify. He does not have swim bladder. He's not actually "floating". I guess I shouldn't have worded it that way. He is just chillin' at the top. NOT floating. I guess I am just not used to it because my other betta was always swimming around or at hanging out in his cave or near the bottom. Sorry,... show more Okay, I must clarify. He does not have swim bladder. He's not actually "floating". I guess I shouldn't have worded it that way. He is just chillin' at the top. NOT floating. I guess I am just not used to it because my other betta was always swimming around or at hanging out in his cave or near the bottom.
Sorry, ya'll!