Why do democrats think that unemployment can't be fixed within 2 years?

Someone just asked why republicans think that unemployment should be lowered within 2 years. My question is, why do democrats think it CAN'T be lowered within 2 years? I understand government doesn't create jobs other than government jobs, but they sure can influence job creation. Reagan's model worked,... show more Someone just asked why republicans think that unemployment should be lowered within 2 years. My question is, why do democrats think it CAN'T be lowered within 2 years? I understand government doesn't create jobs other than government jobs, but they sure can influence job creation. Reagan's model worked, and when I hear people say that his method of economic recovery added to the debt (even though we all know it was because Reagan had to compromise with Congress to get them to get on board with his plan and they weren't fiscally conservative) but let's say Reagan's plan was the reason for the increase to the national debt during his presidency - the bailouts and Obama's economic recovery does the same thing - it adds to the national debt, but doesn't even work. Why are democrats happy with Obama's economic "recovery" and telling republicans to be patient and that we shouldn't expect unemployment to go down within two years but Reagan was able to lower unemployment from 10.8% to 7.7% within 17 months because he lowered top marginal individual income tax rates from 70% to 28%, deregulated the energy and banking sectores, and cut deficit spending by 1.5%. This resulted in economic growth, which made businesses flourish, which resulted in a drop in unemployment. More people were working, people who were already working got paid more, which actually increased the income tax revenue to government!. When you couple this with small incremental tax increases, as Reagan did to prevent tax braket creep, the economy boomed, GDP went up, and the national average income went up. Why do democrats think that unemployment CAN'T be lowered within 2 years, when Reagan was clearly able to do what Obama can't?
Update: Pfo, you obviously don't understand Reaganomics because we are doing the very opposite. Obama has increased regulation, hasn't lowered taxes (extending the Bush tax rates is not a cut), and used bailouts rather than private sector solutions. We are NOT using Reagan's model. John P, I agree, paying people who don't... show more Pfo, you obviously don't understand Reaganomics because we are doing the very opposite. Obama has increased regulation, hasn't lowered taxes (extending the Bush tax rates is not a cut), and used bailouts rather than private sector solutions. We are NOT using Reagan's model.

John P, I agree, paying people who don't work doesn't kick start the economy, which is what democrats are doing. Reagan DID fix unemployment, I take it you missed the part where unemployment went down and the average income and GDP went UP under Reagan? That means the economy flourished and the problem was fixed. My source for asking this question is here on Yahoo! Answers, Obama supporters ask all the time, clearly you don't spend as much time here as I do. They have been defending Obama and telling us we should be patient and that economic recovery "doesn't happen over night" and my point is the recession in the late 70s and early 80s is extremely comparable to the one we have now, but you have two polar opposite
Update 2: Jim, I read your answer and although I agree with a few comments, overall I disagree with the sentiment that tax cuts don't have much of an affect and businesses are all greed. Although I am for free trade open market capitalism, I do agree that NAFTA has had a negative affect on it's proposed goal and therefore... show more Jim, I read your answer and although I agree with a few comments, overall I disagree with the sentiment that tax cuts don't have much of an affect and businesses are all greed. Although I am for free trade open market capitalism, I do agree that NAFTA has had a negative affect on it's proposed goal and therefore needs to be changed. I agree we need to do more here in America, industrially and educationally, but this starts with getting rid of the government and union relationship. The reason businesses put robots in their factories rather than workers is because robots don't complain and demand more from a business, and I imagine that true good businesses wouldn't mind paying their employees more and providing better benefits if they weren't taxed so much. High business tax rates does two things, it hurts the employee and it hurts the consumer, both negatively affects the economy. The employees lose benefits, pensions, and pay, while consumers get the trickle down increase in cost for