Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 9 years ago

What are the adaptations of the Lilly Pilly Tree?

I am doing an assignment where I need to write about the adaptations to the Lilly Pilly Tree so that it can better survive and maintain itself. I also need to categorise whether the adaptation is structural, behavioural or functional. I have been searching for hours and cannot find much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much :)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

Since no one has given u the answer then i vl only give.look for the answer here!!

If u r not interested in this no.1 answer then go for the no.2 at the last.

1)Lilly Pilly is one of the best-known Australian rainforest plants used in south-eastern Australia. This plant has been used as a single tree or as a hedge since the early 1900s. It has been in continuous use because of this tree’s great adaptability to Melbourne soils, especially sandy or clay loams. Unlike many other Australian evergreens, it thrives in the clay soils in the east and north-east of Melbourne.

Originating in warm-temperate forests from the Northern Territory south to the far-eastern tip of Victoria, Lilly Pilly requires relatively moist soils for rapid growth and healthy appearance over summer. These required irrigation levels decrease as soon as the plant is well-established, but Lilly Pilly will never be a suitable tree for droughty situations or on poor, skeletal soils.

A. smithii will have fragrant white flowers in late spring, and these flowers are followed by fruits—in most Lilly Pillies these are a deep purple. The fruits will normally fall in late autumn if not eaten by birds, but clean up is reasonably quick and simple.

If left to grow without pruning, A. smithii will grow to be an upright-oval tree, maintaining its lower branches. When hedged, Lilly Pilly will be a dense hedge that can be maintained to 4m tall by 2-3m broad. With time, it can grow to be an elegant 5-6m hedge.

Along with the many Syzygium and Waterhousea selections now available, A. smithii is an excellent evergreen tree that can be put to a number of uses.

Typical mature height:

variable, to 15m

Useful in:

streetscapes, avenues, screening

Sites for best growth:

moisture-retentive, irrigated

Gallery

2) Lilly-Pilly Tree

Scientific Name: Acmena smithii (Poir.) Merr. & Perry

Synonym: Eugenia smithii

Family: Myrtaceae

Picture from Tropica Mango Nurseries Recommended Temperature Zone:

sunset: 15-17, 19-24

USDA: 9-11

Frost Tolerance: Semi hardy in Phoenix, protect on coldest nights

Sun Exposure: Full sun to light shade

Origin: Victoria to Northern Queensland, Australia

Growth Habits: Large bush or small tree to 20 feet high (6m), 20 feet in spread

Watering Needs: Abundant water

Propagation: Fresh seeds, cuttings

Cultural Practices:

Regular feedings will maintain it growing.

Blooming Habits:

Small, fluffy white flowers in late spring precede mass fruitings in early winter of 1/2 inch (1 cm) mauve, pink or white edible berries. The berries attract many birds. They can be eaten fresh, or made into jelly and drinks.

Fruiting Habits:

Propagation:

Use fresh seeds, soaked into water for 24 hours. They germinate in 3-5 weeks. The cuttings root easily.

Source(s): I have taken this from botanical websites. plse dont report abuse me!!!
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Growing Lilly Pilly From Seed

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.