What is difference between Belgian Malinois and German Shepherd(Alsatian)?

I just saw an article on the Seal team 6 dog of war that identified it as a Belgian Malinois. I had never heard of a Belgian Malinois but searched for images of the dog. If I saw someone walking one

of these, I would ask them if I could pet their German Shepherd. How are these dogs different?

The BM is a bit smaller than a traditional German Shepherd. They are different in color, usually more of a lighter golden color and a bit smaller than typical GS. Their faces are a bit more narrow and sharper. And there can be a real difference in personality from the regular German Shepherd. I knew a dog trainer that had BM that he was training for a protection dog. She was pretty amazing. A friend of mine had a GS as a police dog that was wonderful but they had a friend that had a BM as a police dog and she was difficult to manage and had a less than optimum personality. I have a German line GS and she is a wonderful dog. She has a sweet temperament and she is kind and protective all at the same time. She always stays between me and the doorway. She is naturally protective in her nature, a great dog.

• Arlene

Of course there are differences because they are different breeds, individual dogs, they're ALL different. It does depend on the owner, and the training. I don't feel as though Malanois are any more "aggressive" than a German Shepherd. They are trained Police dogs used for work. All dogs need a strong leader, especially the powerful breeds. Belgians all have their own personalities. Different displays of dominance or behaviors. They are all different. They are not aggressive breeds by nature.

• btdt

The gsd's topline is slanted compared to the Belgian's, and its hindquarters are much more angulated. In a show pose, the gsd's rear paws appear to be in a different county.

They are two completely different breeds.

I also disagree that they look so alike you can't tell the difference.

(coat, gait, stance, bone structure...it's all different, and then some...)

http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_malinois/

http://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/

here are the links to the individual standards of the breeds