What Is Your Biggest Financial Tip?

You don't only have to only say the biggest. You can say all of them if you want.

I have two tips:

1. The foundation of any budget is good bookkeeping. You need to track your income and your expenses. Set up a budgeting worksheet on Excel, or get Quicken. Quicken will be easier to work with, but it will cost about $60.. I listed the categories to start below. Add or delete categories as needed. Each column in Excel should be one month. Each row should be 1 expense category. Make sure to reconcile your checkbook each month. Failing to reconcile your checkbook is like having a condom, but not using it.

There are some items which are a bit harder to budget. For example, you pay for homeowner's or renter's insurance once a year. Take the bill divide it by 12, and add it to your expenses monthly as an accrued item. Some expenses are unpredictable. For example, you know that your car will eventually need an expensive repair, but you don't know when it will happen. Go through your check register for the last 24 months. Add up all the unexpected items and divide by 24. Then enter that amount on your budget each month.

I suggest you get a book called Bookkeeping for Dummies by Lita Epstein. Please don't be offended by the name. For Dummies is a publishing company. They contract with top authors who are both experts in their field and have the ability to put concepts in simple English.

2. Investing is complex. Start by educating yourself. Get books called Investing For Dummies, Fifth by Eric Tyson and Stock Investing For Dummies by Paul Mladjenovic. Neither of these books will make you an expert, but they will allow you to ask intelligent questions and understand the answers.

Go to the finance department of any college or community college. Ask the instructors to recommend a few books on investing oriented toward beginners.

3. Please don't rely on financial web pages, because they don't provide the depth to give you a basic understanding of how the market works. The market is complex and multifaceted.

4. Beware of seeking advice from investment brokers. They are paid on commission by their brokerage firm. Their first loyalty is to themselves. They will try to sell you whatever gives them the greatest commission. Their second loyalty is to their brokerage firm. Brokerage firms tell brokers that one investment or another is paying a higher commission that month. You are a distant third as far as the broker's loyalty.

5. Beware of self proclaimed experts. If we were all experts, then we would all be billionaires. I don't believe Warren Buffet or Bill Gates is on Yahoo Answers this evening.

1) Always save 20% of your income.

2) Start saving for retirement the first day you start earning money. Even if you're 18!!

$100 saved at 25 will amount to $704 at 65, yielding 604%.

The same $100 saved at 45 will amount to a mere $265, about 1/3.

As a recent college grad who racked up 35k in student loans because I had to go to a private university with my friends, Id recommend to any college bound student to go to a community college for 2 years for general ed classes and then a state school for the next 2 years. I would only have about 5k in debt if I had did that. My debt is preventing me from moving out, Im stuck with mommy for atleast a few years. I regret my decision horribly.

• Ann

Understand the difference between a "need" and a "want". Far too many people think they "need" a car or "need" a cell phone or "need" new clothes - and while in some cases they are a legitimate need most of the times they're just what people want and yet they go beyond their means to buy things they don't actually need.

Always pay your bills first, then your savings account, and then what is left is your spending money. This way you will never be in dept and you start building money in your saving for an emergency as well as having money for the future.

Spend less than you earn. Do not take on debt for anything other than to buy your primary residence. And save, save, save.

Tried to save money and watch out for your expenditure

Save 10c out of every dollar you earn!

Most important keep your debt to zero and to a minimum.

• Elana

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

There is no magic in finance.

Buy low, sell high.