Question for A Republican- Conservative Girlfriend Told her son " Gay people go to hell" Is that wrong?

Ok, I'm in a really strange situation. My girlfriends son. A Teenager 15 years of age. Was caught looking at gay porn on the internet last night. My girlfriend ( A strong Republican, from a very republican family ) Confronted him, and told him that Gay people go to hell when they die. So If he is gay, he will... show more Ok, I'm in a really strange situation. My girlfriends son. A Teenager 15 years of age. Was caught looking at gay porn on the internet last night. My girlfriend ( A strong Republican, from a very republican family ) Confronted him, and told him that Gay people go to hell when they die. So If he is gay, he will go to hell. I guess in an effort to scare him straight. So the other Day i was talking to him. And now suddenly he tells me he " Hates gays " I told him he should not hate anyone. He asks me if I hate gays. I respond " No " . He tells me That if I do not hate gays. I will go to hell with them,
Do you think that's over the top? I'm not Conservative, but Do you think that was crossing the line? For him to say that to me?