Can our marriage work?

My husband is an abuser.Now he wants to change. Do abusers really change? My husband of 4 years has been abusing me physically(beating me,pulling hair,slapping etc),,emotionally(eyeing other women in my presence,comparing me,putting me down)sexually(telling me to tell him stories of him,having sex with other... show more My husband is an abuser.Now he wants to change. Do abusers really change?
My husband of 4 years has been abusing me physically(beating me,pulling hair,slapping etc),,emotionally(eyeing other women in my presence,comparing me,putting me down)sexually(telling me to tell him stories of him,having sex with other women,watching,enacting ****,raping me),..recently the the violence got worse and he even hit me with an iron rod which made me unable to walk for few days..he even tried to choke me.I somehow managed to escape out taking my 2.5 yrs toddler and closed the door from outside.i was treamblng with fear and he shouting me to come inside.he threatened that he will consume poison if i dint open door.I went inside then he started saying sorry that he lost his temper and he wont do it again,but I've lost faith in him.this is what I am seeing for last 4 yrs.He went to psychiatrist when i threatened to leave with our child,and is hopeful that it will work.His own parents had an unhappy marriage and he also used to get beaten a lot by his mom who he loves a lot.I am really confused should i continue living with him with my child who watches everything or should i leave as i feel no love or respect for him.
I am well qualified and can take care of our child well..need honest answer
Additional Details
I used to love him which started abruptly on lust then i found him two timiing me he said sorry and we married after few oppositions.But I think he may not have respect for me coz he got me very easily .He is quite handsome and i too am very good looking.
i often find other guys trying to hit on me while he hardly ever appreciates me even which he feels he is habitually not very vocal in his feelings .i have never spoken about all this to anyone while he tells everything to his mom.who has treated me very badly
He claims That he loves me a lot and will die without me but then how can someone hit so badly to his love
I agree I've been rude at times as i felt if he never gave me what i want i should also do the same.It pains a lot when i see others' husbands showering love on their wives.while being a romantic i did everything initialy for him but never got what i wanted in return(little appreciation,respect,care)