SJC asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

German shepherd, husky or douge de bordeaux?

Me and my girlfriend are trying to decide, i love douge de bordeaux's but she loves husky and german shepherds. We already have a staff cross and a bulldog cross and i was wondering your advise. In your experiance what is calmest, safest, friendliest. Also we are in are twenties and would like to start having chrildren in 8 to 10 years so what would be best for that.

I am a huge dog lover and have worked with dogs alot, i have also been bitten/ attacked 5 times, once by a jack russell and the other four times by a german shepherd (3 times by the same dog granted) and a few people i know have also been bitten by german shepherd so i am a bit skeptical of them. However they are amazing and stunning i do agree.

So what do you recomend?

Just to add we have plenty of time to exercise them and we take ares to the farm were are horse's are kept and live in north wales, oposit a huge nature reserve and lake and about five mins from endless beaches.

I have also researched all breads, i have met breeders and am clued up on living costs, health issues etc. I it is such a hard call to make, they are all such nice dogs.

Hey thanks for all your answers just to add one more thing my staff cross is two and a half spayed ***** and she is fairly energetic realy friendly dog LOVING she is about the hight of a pit but a bit skinnyer. and my bulldog cross is part british bulldog, part american bulldog, part boxer part staff and a bit more lol ( true mutt ) shes one year old spayed ***** aswell, about the hight of the other one but she isnt to stocky as well but she is strong.

• Chix
    Favorite Answer

Adding a 3rd dog to the mix is a LOT of work (speaking from expeience). Truthfully, I have 3 dogs and will NEVER do it again.

Also, you don't mention the age and sex of your current dogs....

But - to add some comments:

- the energy of your existing dogs has to be taken into consideration. A Bulldog is about as low energy as they get - yours is a cross, so maybe its in better shape. A Bulldog is not going to appreciate a busy dog.

The question is: how are you going to manage a puppy with tons of exercise requirements and training and 2 older dogs.

GSD's are very high energy and require training from day 1. It is not enough to just let them run all day on a farm - do that and expect them to chase livestock, possibly kill it, and become a holy terror. They can become very aggressive and protective - which means risking them biting intruders. You need to manage your GSD - and that means training. And keeping an eye on them.

GSD's need work - not just play. They are highly trainable and very loyal if you put the effort in. If you are afraid of them - then I cannot say much. I have 2, and find them intensely loving and loyal. They are prey driven and with proper training, can be good herding dogs. But without training, they can and do chase cats, coyotes, horses or anything else .

They do shed. ALOT. And they have a ton of health problems - so make sure you get a working line and avoid conformation linees that are roached back. Avoid "frog dogs' and get a level topline.

Huskies are NOT dogs that can be let loose - period. They simply will run away. These are dogs that must be contained in high fences and even underground fencing (since they dig). They are highly intelligent but not known for being complaint in obedience. What they thrive on is constant exercise. Huskies can be dog aggressive as can GSD's but as puppies, raised with your dogs and socialized, they should be fine.

DDB - I have zero experience. Personally, I'm not a fan of mastiff breeds, they are HUGE, and they must be trained. I shudder to think what a dog that size is capable of in the wrong hands.

My main point:

- three dogs with very different energy levels and very different needs means you need to accommodate them differently.

You risk having a pack of dogs - the 3rd dog must be trained individually and walked individually at the beginning to develop it. If you simply let them all run loose on a farm - you have a pack of dogs and trust me, one dog is protection, 3 dogs are an army.

I really feel you need to think carefully about what time you can invest, and why you want another dog. Also, you don't mention sex - you should not have a male GSD if your existing dogs are males - you can have 2 females and 1 male but (in my experience) 2 males is asking for trouble.

Neutering does not solve aggression in GSD's - training does.

GSD are calm compared to my Doberman - but would be considered very busy compared to a Bulldog. Staffies - well it depends I guess on the age - generally, terriers are very active and busy but your's is a cross so I don't know.

Source(s): GSD's for 11 years - Dobermans for 30 years
  • thing

Huskies are very, very high energy. They're a very unaggressive breed, but have been involved in a lot of bites to children because so many of them are chained.

The german shepherds I've known have been friendly and safe, they were well-trained and well-exercised family pets.

It all depends on the breeding and management though- it would be better to get an adult who you know is right for you from a reputable rescue, or to carefully research the lines and look at the parents. There are a lot of neurotic or sick german shepherds because people who don't know or don't care better are breeding them- heck, just look at the limping ones you see in the show ring or the timid ones you sometimes see on the street.

Dogue de bordeaux are absolutely stunning dogs, but seem to have quite a lot of health problems and are harder to find.

I think you would be safe with a female German Shepherd because a husky needs tons of exercise but here is the issue are your other dogs fighters or hyper active and how well can you train them because to be honest unless you have a bull dog not American bull dog it will be incompatible because the staffie cross with need an opposite sex dog and if the bull dog is American it needs opposite sex too so basically you will need more research. But if you have lots of time for exercise and a English bull dog that is small get opposite sex to staffie cross you will have wonderful time but your situation doesn't sound the best without more detail.

Geez I wonder if any of these people have even ever owned a Husky? So much is misconstrued about this breed... do your research. =/

Here's what you need to know about Huskies/Malamutes (YES, both breeds):

- They need at least 20 minutes of walking a day, EVERY day. They were bred and born to run. They are working class dogs and need an energy dump daily.

- They only need a bath 2-3 times per year, depending if they get muddy. However, both breeds only shed ONCE per year, usually mid-spring depending on your climate, but they shed for 3-5 months. They REQUIRE 15 minutes of brushing at least 3 times a week, if not more during their shedding season.

- They are pack animals. If they are not raised with children and other animals, it may not be a good idea to introduce them to kids and other animals after they reach sexual maturity. My Husky rescue is over around 3 years old and I have to be very careful with him around children, or don't let children around him at all.

- Here is a video explaining all the pros and cons to owning a Husky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRG5LDBcgUE

Youtube thumbnail

- Here is a video about MY rescued Husky's life. If you can meet the requirements a Husky needs, I suggest you adopt before you pay hundreds for a puppy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBTa1JBTFhU

Youtube thumbnail

Huskies are great companions, and can be great with kids too if they are raised with them. Huskies are energetic, playful, clowns of the dog world (they will make you laugh), have fun personalities, but are also very hard headed. This upsets first time Husky owners, but if you have PATIENCE, perseverance, and a stronger will than your bull-headed dog, Huskies are GREAT to train. I have had my Husky for over a year now and he already knows sit, stay, catch, come, shake (he learned on his own), and is learning to lay down now. My boyfriend and I wouldn't trade him for any other dog in the world.

As far as the other breeds are concerned, I STRONGLY suggest you do your own research on the breeds. While Huskies are my forte, there are countless organizations out there with TONS of information about specific breeds. But whatever you choose to get, I highly suggest looking to adopt the breed before you buy. Hope that helps.

[Correction: Huskies do not just bite people. The action of the husky is based on it's socialization and what it has/hasn't been taught. Huskies are not chained - those that are chained are usually those used for sledding and get normal exercise required of the breed through sledding OR from owners who are scared of their dog. Huskies do require at least 8 ft of verticle fencing (at least 2 ft underground as well) if kept outside, but can be kept on a long run. They are very intelligent. Because of this, they are also escape artists, as you will see in the first video posted.]

• All of those depends on the dog's personality, temperament, and your willingness to work with them. If given enough exercise, mental stimulation, and training, all of those breeds can become family dogs with sweet temperaments.

You'll need to do your own research on each breed and meet some of the dogs that you are interested in (a dog show would be a great place to meet breeders and their dogs.) There are pros and cons to each breed that need to be taken into consideration, such as exercise requirements, grooming, etc.

Source(s): 7 Husky mixes; one of which is a GSD mix.
  • If you're looking for a calm dog, immediately rule out the Husky. They are very active dogs.

German Shepherds are great dogs if they're raised right, they just tend to be very protective. Howvever, if you're skeptical of them, then maybe it's not the right choice for you.

I don't recommend Huskies. They need an insane amount of walking, they need a huge amount of training, and they jump about 7 feet from standing- so 8ft fences are a must.

Look in Alaskan Malamutes. They are like Huskies, and need lots of exercise, and shed lots, but they don't jump as high and are excellent with kids.

• Zane

1

Source(s): Dog Training Made Easy http://DogTrainingClasses.emuy.info/?Fpep

Dogue De Bordeaux, most definitely.

Husky.

They are great with children .

Source(s): MY MIND.