Does landlord need permission to enter the property? Can they always enter as long have given 24 hours notice?

I don't really wish for the landlord or agents to enter the property while I am not there or for workmen to enter while I am not in. I find it invasive, insecure and intrusive on my privacy and enjoyment, it is stressful to think strangers will be going round the house when I am not in. I understand a... show more I don't really wish for the landlord or agents to enter the property while I am not there or for workmen to enter while I am not in. I find it invasive, insecure and intrusive on my privacy and enjoyment, it is stressful to think strangers will be going round the house when I am not in.

I understand a landlord may need to enter a property in an emergency if I'm not there - but if they give me 24 hours notice that they wish to enter for viewings or checking when I 'm not there can I say no it's not convienient and rearrange a time for when I am in for them to show viewers or check the property?

I am happy for reasonable prearranged visits when I am in, so would this be OK to say that this way only?

Also how often is it reasonable for a landlord or viewers to want to come around the house?

Many thanks in advance :)
Update: To Oops - it's always good to get as much advice and information as possible, I am being thorough and some on yahoo may know different information to others, it is fine to ask as many different people as many times as required to get a good idea of what others know on the subject. You have replied already so... show more To Oops - it's always good to get as much advice and information as possible, I am being thorough and some on yahoo may know different information to others, it is fine to ask as many different people as many times as required to get a good idea of what others know on the subject.

You have replied already so thankyou for your advice but I can still ask others if they know more.
Update 2: As I understand it no tenancy agreement, no matter what it says can override law that is already in place. So really I am checking what the law says and whether this overrides the tenancy agreement.
Update 3: Thanks for the reply mutt, I think what I am concerned about is frequent visits being as the house was for sale when the letting agent showed me around they assured me that it would come off of the market, but to me the contract looks like they may wish to let it to get an income while they continue to keep it on... show more Thanks for the reply mutt, I think what I am concerned about is frequent visits being as the house was for sale when the letting agent showed me around they assured me that it would come off of the market, but to me the contract looks like they may wish to let it to get an income while they continue to keep it on the market, with a stream of viewers, surveyors, and maybe the possibility of me being forced out if they sell it before the contract is up?????

I don't want a stream of agents and viewers entering whenever they like for the duration of the contract.

Normal infrequent checks I am absolutley fine with and can arrange to be there for in eves and weekends.
Update 4: Good lord Rainbowz that does sound awful, I would hate that! Your poor sister :( Yes this is the thing I don't want strangers having access to the house I reside in when I am not there, looking at my belongings doing god knows what while I am not there.
Update 5: Yes I should probably add I live in the UK so UK law would apply only.