Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

How to keep my dog from whining/barking/howling when I leave?

My dog is 9 months old and he cries/whines/barks/howls nonstop when I leave my apartment. During the summer, he stayed with me at my parents' house and he was happy because there were 2 other dogs that he could play with. Now that I've moved back for college and am living in an apartment, he goes crazy when I leave the apartment to go for school. The neighbors have been kind enough not to call the apartment management, but they did leave notes on my door asking me to please quiet my dog. I've tried leaving him toys that he likes, giving him those raw hide things to munch on, music, TV, and he has enough food and water. I leave him in the living room so he has enough room to roam around. I don't know what else to try in order to get him to quiet down. My neighbors will surely call the management if this keeps up and I don't want to be a bother to my neighbors. How can I stop this behavior quickly and efficiently?

Thank you!

He is a Miniature Schnauzer. I know that breed tends to have some problems with barking, but this is quite excessive!

Favorite Answer

Dames with Danes' answer is what worked for me and my puppy!

The only other suggestion I would throw in is to get him used to his crate first. I started with no door on the crate for 2 days and fed him there, and gave him treats in there. I would store all his toys there and throw a ball in it to make him go in to fetch it. Every time he went in voluntarily I would praise him like crazy! After 2 days no door, I added door and left open while repeating activities. I would catch him sleeping and put him in his crate while he was asleep so that he would wake up in his crate, comfy and warm. Even if he woke up while I put him in there I would praise him. Soon I started to close him in. He hated that, and so did I while I hid, waiting in the hallway while he cried. After he stopped crying (and only then), I would open the crate and let him out. I did this several times a day and extended the time that I was hiding or leaving NEVER making a big deal out of it, until I started to notice he would go in voluntarily and take a nap with the door open.

I have 2 other dogs that are not crated, but he had separation anxiety and basically didn't know what to do with himself or how to act without me there. I realized one day when I went upstairs that he cried for me and then it stopped. I came down to find that he had gone to his "den" or his crate sleeping soundly. That is what he knew and how he feels safe.

I always leave the radio or TV on, a tiny bit of water in the crate with a chew bone and a snuggle toy. I personally have a fairly large crate with a fluffy pillow covered by a towel in the crate leaving 6 inches of room at the front for the water and chew toys. I would never leave him in there more than 3 - 4 hours at a time, and if you have to leave longer a small room enclosure is better.

It would be very social of you as a neighbor to send out a note to all of those annoyed by him explaining your situation, apologizing for it, adding details of how you are trying to train him, your methods, and even ask if anyone has any tips for you. You may even find a neighbor willing to help you by coming in to check on him, but I believe that Dames with Dames already suggested that.

Be consistent and don't give in to the crying! It is horrendous and they will even bounce against the crate, but if you persevere, you will soon see that he will realize that it was worth it.

One more tip. If you tire him out with play or walking before you go, it would make much more sense in doggy terms that you are leaving him behind, as he is tired so can't keep up with the pack! :-)

1

Source(s): Perfect Dog Training Program - http://DogTraining.oruty.com/?OHMV

Find what motivates your dog. Some dogs do anything for food. Some dogs do anything for Toys. Some do anything for a good petting. Some do anything for only one type of food, like cheese, or hotdog. Some only have interest in training for 5 minutes at a time, and others can go for an hour. Figure out what your dog is willing to work for, and then work with her in sessions that are no longer than she can tolerate. How to train your dog properly https://tr.im/dogtrainingcourse

Sign up for a dog obedience training class. It will not train your dog. It will give you training on how you can train your dog. Most people understand the idea of training, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and there is good and bad technique. Timing and consistency is very important, and it helps to have feedback of someone watching you who can help you improve your technique to get more efficient results with your dog.

However, she may be somewhat anxious around other dogs, sort of like the shy kid on the playground. She will benefit from continuing what you are doing as far as asking her to sit before entering, but there are more things along those lines that will help her to calmly go in and out of the dog park. She may also benefit from going in short bursts, or only when fewer dogs are present, or avoiding times when other dogs that make her nervous are present. Maybe she just plays loud - my brother's dog is this way - or maybe she is a dogpark bully - sorry it is possible. But more likely she is just a little anxious around new dogs and she wants to play but just doesn't quite know how to do that and still feel comfortable. Don't be surprised if your dog does not actually like the dog park, and maybe she would get more enjoyment and less stress out of simply going for a good walk somewhere else.

A wagging tail does not mean that your dog is happy or even comfortable with the situation. It means your dog is emotionally aroused. This could be a happy arousal, or it could be a nervous arousal, or it could be an aggressive arousal. Go youtube it, there are plenty of videos of 'vicious' dogs who are throwing a very aggressive fit of barking and snarling while their tail is wagging vigorously. Even police dogs who are not let off the leash to chase down a suspect can be lunging and barking and snarling, and their tails are still going.

Some dogs just hate being alone. i am currentley petsitting a neighbors chihuahua, and she is getting very attached to me, and whines and barks when i leave her alone. she also follows me EVERYWHERE. but i do NOT reccomend a bark collar that gives a shock to your dog when it detects barking. i think that isnt very effective, but it is also a very harsh and mean way to "train" your dog. try watching some shows on animal planet, like "Its Me or the Dog" and other shows about dog training. there are different methods to stop barking so at least one should work. even Google ways to keep a dog from barking when its left alone. theres gotta be something that will work. but if something doesnt start working right away, dont give up and move on. give a week or two with each method to really see if your dog improves. if it doesnt and you really feel that method wont work, try something else. good luck!

How do you behave when you leave your apartment? Do you make a big deal about it? Do you notice your dog start to get anxious when he knows you are beginning to leave?

Here are my suggestions;

1. get a kennel, dogs dont necessarily enjoy room to roam. a small space of his own may make him feel more secure

2. invest in a few kongs and a kong wobbler, give him his breakfast in the wobbler and a frozen kong with stuff in it, you can freeze all KINDS of stuff in a kong, some food, peanut butter, broth, just about anything you can imagine.

3. when you have some time off school, say the labor day weekend, start working with him, do your normal routine like you are going to school, leave, come right back, like 30 seconds, but when you are leaving, DO NOT make a deal out of it, just get your stuff and go. you can say bye but dont pet him or make a fuss, just leave. then when you come back, the same thing, for a good 2 minutes, that dog doesn't exist. if you teach him that you leaving isn't a big deal, then he will stop seeing you being gone as a big deal. do this over and over and over. start lengthening the time you are gone. if you are friendly with your neighbors, ask them to help you and have them start timing how long it take him to bark, you need to come back RIGHT before then. and then extend your time slowly. its going to be annoying. its going to take the whole weekend, maybe more, but he will learn.

4. if you are super friendly with a neighbor, maybe someone can come let him out during the day to break up his day a bit

5. check out your local doggy day cares, there is one by me that is only $8 a day so there are several that are plenty affordable, even on a students income

Good Luck!

It sure does seem that your dog has a serious case of "loneliness" when you leave him. I have read all of the other answers and most of them are good. You mentioned that he was happy with the two dogs at your parents home, is it possible to get him a playmate? it might help him not to make so much noise because he will have company. You can try to take him for a long walk before you leave for classes and if possible stop in and check on him during the day. You could make a recording of your voice and play it while your gone, maybe that would help him not to feel lonely. If all else fails you may have to hire a sitter for him or find a doggie day care for him to go to while your in school.

Good Luck and Be patient I hope it all works out for you both. :O)

Source(s): personal experience

get him trained maybe. and pertend to close the door then if he thinks your gone and starts barking come in there and say no aand give him a light wack on the nose then try again. if you keeep on doing this he wilol eventually know. i tried this with my english setter puppy when he was 4 months old and about 2 weeks later he has already learned not to bark and whine now when i go out. and he is now 7 months old. and what is your breed of dog because depending on what breed he is the quicker or slower he may learn.......

I reccomend N's answer, but maybe you could leave the light or TV on so if feels like someone is home, or just get a dog sitter if none of the answers help and push comes to shove.

Source(s): It's me or the dog on animal panet :)

We had problems with our dog also. He used to chew shoes, bed etc when we were not at home. Both my husband and I work a lot and had no time to take our Bud to dog training classes. We asked one friend who works in foster care (he is always surrounded by dogs) what we should do. He recommended one online dog behavior trainer. I love this trainer http://bit.ly/1SGzTK7

It helped us a lot, and I strongly recommend it for you.

just like N and Cj said, you should step out of your apartment and wait a minute at the door(so he cant see you). after a minute you go in again. repeat that and always stay outside a minute longer - first 1 min then 5 min - 15min - 30 min. Don't expect it to work immediately, but it should bear fruit