Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

What does Cantonese sound like to you?

To me it sounds really cool like Korean and Japanese. It's smooth but also not, if you know what I mean. I love listening to people speak Cantonese/Korean/Japanese. (:

Favorite Answer

From my own experience, Cantonese can be mistaken for a lot of things. Some say it sounds like Thai or Vietnamese, while other times people mistake it to be Korean or Japanese (mostly Korean between the two).

1. I remember watching a Cantonese dubbed Disney clip on youtube, and someone had asked, and I quote, "What language is this? Sounds kind of Japanese-like"

2. I have also seen some non-Cantonese Chinese expressed disgust at the language and say it sounds like Vietnamese.

3. A popular shampoo commercial on youtube has been mistaken for Korean countless times (you may search "funny Chinese commercial" if you're curious).

4. There was also a Cantonese interview of Tony Jaa and the interviewer did mention that Thai and Cantonese have some similarities.

5. Lastly, an African American polyglot had been learning Cantonese and decided to make a video of himself speaking conversational Cantonese. A comment has been made that said it "sounds like Mandarin, Vietnamese and Japanese all in one".

As for me personally, I can't really tell what it sounds like. I've been speaking it since childhood, it's just too distinct to my ears to make a comparison with any foreign language. The opinions of people from various communities should be a good source of indication though.

Sbs Cantonese

Less annoying than Vietnamese. Other than that, it just sounds like people talking. I would have a hard time recognizing it as Cantonese. It doesn't sound as distinctive as some other languages. The average rate of speaking seems to be about the same as English, not much faster or slower.

The closest foreign language to Cantonese should be Vietnamese, both sound not that cool compared to other dialects such as Mandarin, and Japanese.

Source(s): a Cantonese speaker

Isn't Cantonese spoken in Hong Kong? It sounds very Asian but I think they all sound very different... I think the people who speak Cantonese are pretty talented if you want hear more cantonese on SBS in Australia I think at 11:00AM somedays they have Hong Kong news :)

It sounds like..."Ching chong waaah, wing sung chohh".

annoying

jibberish